Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25392 10-03-2002 04:34 AM
jewels Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
about nine months ago i noticed a small lump on the upper palate in the back near the throat. I have a tori [unusual bone construction] in the same area of my upper palate. I knew this new lump was different from those bony structures.The oral surgeon removed the lump and a biopsy confirmed the lump to exhibit displasia or pre cancer signs.The oral surgeon said it was a type caused by constant irritation by something in that area. I was told to quit smoking and have it checked every six months.It has now been 4 months since the surgery and biopsy. I did quit smoking for 3 months however without the aid of the nicotine patches fell back into the nasty habit about a month ago. The lump has reappeared and I have an appointment to see the oral surgeon again. Now I am really frightened. This oral surgeon has told me terrible experiences of people losing their faces from oral cancer. It seemed he was trying to frighten me. I would love to hear from anyone who has had cancer in the upper palate. I was told it is rare for cancer to appear in that location. I also need any hints, help or suggestions from others who have quit a 30 year habit of smoking.

#25393 10-03-2002 05:21 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, I am sorry,I pushed the wrong button and added reply before I was finished. ANYWAY, I do not know how my husband did that but he just made up his mind and did it. I used the gum, it works, other people say they have had great success with it. I did not do it quick enough because I have had cancer. People who have never smoked say, just quit, not that easy! Sometimes after all this time I see someone in a movie or TV show smoke and I want a cigarette! This is as much mental as an addiction. When I smell it I say yuck. You get use to clean air! Try the patch or gum or ask your Dr. to help you. You will feel better about yourself if you are at least trying, and you have a lot to gain. Good luck, gnelson

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#25394 10-03-2002 03:00 PM
jewels Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply.My appointment is Monday and I will find out what he will do since this has reoccured. My sister just passed away in February from colon cancer and my Mom had tongue cancer.I did get more nicotine patches today and lots of chewing gum. I know I have to quit. Thanks for the encouragement.

#25395 10-03-2002 03:46 PM
PJ Offline

I quit with Zyban and patches in combination. I had tried for years with everything offered. 25+ yr habit and I did it...you can do it...ask for Zyban.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics