Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25181 03-19-2002 10:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My name is Larry. I am a 53 year-old male in Madison, Wisconsin. On Monday I got the biopsy results, they found sqamous cells in my tongue. I will see the oncologist at University of Wisconsin Hospitals Cancer Center on February 5. As long as I can, I will continue to update this journal so others know what to expect from their own experiences. Perhaps some more experienced than I can offer me advice or support.

Always my own worst enemy, I have been a heavy smoker and drinker for 30+ years. I had expected that when/if this behvior caught up to me, it would be the heart, lungs or liver. They still have time to be heard from too, I suppose, but it seems they'll need to hurry.

Not wanting to start me on any medications, the oral surgeon refused to give me a prescription for Zyban, so I still smoke. I have weened myself from 3 packs a day to one or slightly more. I hope Zyban can take it the rest of the way. As to the drinking, well, I am not sure I can give that up just now. This new layer of stress makes me crave my Markers Mark and water after a long day at the office. Is there a pill for that?

Stress...yes, I know it well. In addition to being a sales professional, the past 11 months have seen too much stress in my life. In March my father died suddenly, in April I lost my job, in July I lost another, after five months of unemployment I took a factory job and filed bankruptcy. In January I took a new job, thinking things were looking up, only to have the dentist tell me he did not like the looks of the "sore" on the bottom of my tongue, which closes the circle on my story to date.

I worry most about losing my speach (pretty important in my line of work) and disfigurement. I am man enough to admit I am terrified of what is to come. My next posting will be after the Doc tells me what's next and we have CT results of my lymph scan.

#25182 03-19-2002 10:02 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Larry. My name is Anne and I have a post on hear from last year regarding my situation. Fear of not being able to speak was my worst fear also. I am a consultant and I have to give a lot of presentations. It has been almost a year and a half and most people do not notice a difference anymore. However, when I get tired or try to speak to fast I can have a little trouble.

Now for the stopping smoking gig. Go to the drug store get nic patches and gum. You can use them together, the Zyban didn't work for me at all. When I had my surgery I was wearing the patch and continued to during my subsequent recovery. Also, if you feel you are not ready to go down a level, don't. It took my husband about 6 months to finally remove himself from all of the crutches.

I posted a reply to another post that will give you some back ground on my condition. It is under Hilllaguna. Would love to correspond with you and help you through this stressful time. I have found a lot of hope and strength through the many people I correspond with. Please get in touch if you would like. Anne. Youngerag@aol.com

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25183 03-19-2002 10:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what's ahead for you treatment wise, Larry, but you can do it. We'll be here to help. At first the mind plays a powerful game on you, but when treatment starts your mind will deal with what's right in front of you today and stop worrying (or worry less, anyway). I spent a lot of time telling myself 'Leave tomorrow's worries in tomorrow'. That helped me. In the beginning I remember telling people that I felt like I was on a bad amusement ride that wouldn't stop and let me off. I'm in Iowa and the University of Iowa is supposedly tops in the country for tongue surgery, if you go that route. I was told to do chemo and radiation instead, so that's what I did. PS. Eat all the good stuff you love right now, like steak and lobster and whatever, cuz it might be awhile until you'll have them again.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics