Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21112 09-17-2006 12:44 AM
Gary S Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone,

My name is Gary and I have been lurking around here for about a week gathering info and reading the stories of others.

I was diagnosed with SCC of the left buccal mucosa (interior cheek) about 2 months ago. I underwent surgery just over 4 weeks ago to remove the growth along with a neck dissection.

The good news is that all 23 lymph nodes were negative and there were clean margins. The doctors said that based on the size alone I was probably Stage 1, less than 2 centimeters, but there was minor peri-neural invasion and invasion of some of the muscle of the cheek in the removed section. Based on this info my cancer is probably Stage 4 N0 M0 due to the muscular invasion. There does seem to be some hesitation on the part of the doctors to definitively say that I am Stage 4.

I am still in the healing process so I have not yet begun radiation. I will be consulting with another oncologist regarding chemo. My gut tells me to be aggressive due to the fact that I am relatively young, 30, and the probability that I am Stage 4 N0 M0 as opposed to Stage 1.

I should also mention that I had two enlarged lymph nodes removed from my right groin because the showed upon the PET/CT scan. The docs were concerned that I may have another primary, like lymphoma. Fortunately they were negative as well.

I find this board to be a comfort and a place of encouragement. The information I have gathered has made me a much better patient and has assisted in my decision making process. Thank you to everyone!

Gary

SCC left Buccal Mucosa (cheek). Surgery with Modified Radical Neck (23 lymph nodes - all clear). IMRT x 30. Finished tx 11-21-06
"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"
#21113 09-17-2006 07:26 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Gary. I agree this site was a terrific help to me when I was going through treatment. I am glad you found us. I am of the Throw Everything At It shcool of thought about this nasty disease. I was a definite stage 4 and I am closing in on 5 years since diagnosis, having asked for and received very aggressive treatment. If you are offered chemo to go with your rad treatments, I urge you to accept. It will make it a little tougher, but it won't be a picnic anyway, so what's a little more discomfort?? Whatever you elect, it will be over soon and you can get back to your real life. Never forget that in the long view, this is just a blip on the time track. You can do this and we will be here to anwswer any questions you have.

#21114 09-17-2006 07:50 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Gary:
Welcome to the OCF board. My husband, David, was having surgery at this very moment 4 years ago today so I think it is fitting to welcome you as I celebrate his survivorship. Radiation and/or chemo are tough treatment paths but the folks at OCF are pretty much pros at both. You can do this(take it one step at a time) and as Joanna mentioned-any question that is significant to you can be posted here. Congratulations on your recovery thus far.

Best Wishes,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260