Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

I am ashamed I have not responded or updated. I have resumed solid food for the most part. But I did lose about 8 pounds over the time it took immediately post surgery and now.

I still struggle with numbness in the right side of my tongue. I was so carried away eating one night I bit my tongue pretty bad. It was bruised badly for a couple of weeks. I have learned now to slow down.

Does anyone have a similar numb feeling in the tongue ?

Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator

Dear Another Journey -

I can not feel the right half of my tongue and I never will but it was removed and rebuilt with flesh from my forearm (partial glossectomy). Did you have that procedure or a piece removed? Glad you are eating food again. It took many months for me to learn how to manipulate food again but I also lost most of my saliva in the radiation treatment. Eating in public was an adventure but now 3 years out I don't even register it 99% of the time.

Keep up the good work!

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
OP Offline

Thank you for the reply. I just had a piece of the underside of my tongue removed so I did not require it to be rebuilt. I think about one quarter of my tongue surface is numb. I am hopeful that at least some of the lost sensation will return. I realize that I am not even two months post surgery. And more important I am grateful I am alive.

My other problem is that I constantly worry that any little white spot I see is a return of cancer. I have an appointment with the surgeon a week from Monday so I hope to get some peace of mind at that.

Thank you again for any insight.

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Dear AJ

Couple thoughts. It took a long time, many months, for my tongue and mouth to heal. You will likely still notice improvement many months out. Ugh, the potential of cancer coming back is such a catch 22. It is totally logical and fair to be worried about it but on the other hand stress is related to it. Keep doing what you are already doing - stay on top of it. Besides my family and friends, my best source of peace relative to cancer returning is faith. Through my cancer surgery and treatment I had life changing experiences that built my faith to a level I never thought possible. And living gratefully is a daily routine. Finally, I suggest a book and a quick internet read. The book is called Anticancer and it is stuffed with tons of data on how to live a life to reduce cancer chances. To find the internet read, Google "Cancer is like a lion in the fridge." Makes me laugh and cry every time I read it (at least a couple dozen times now!).

Stay safe and keep the faith!
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members