Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201366 05-30-2022 11:38 AM
OP Offline

I feel so ignorant. I have cancer in my lymph node in throat. It's HPV-16 I am told. They think the source was my tonsil (s) I appear to be heading toward a double tonsillectomy and a neck dissection or robotic surgery. I'd love to hear from anyone that has been through this as I really don't know what to expect?

Just recently diagnosed
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I was positive for HPV+ tonsil cancer on one side and in nodes in both sides of my neck. Back when I went through treatment there was no robotic surgery for this, but even today if you have extension of a tonsil cancer into the nodes, the treatment is seldom surgery alone, and radiation becomes part of the equation.

You don’t mention how you were discovered or where you are getting your plans for treatment from, and that makes a big difference. If you have one doctor and that’s a head and neck surgeon, you are going to end up with a surgical solution. People do what their training tells them. Depending on the extent and location of your disease, that may not be the best sequence of events. Not working with much info here, so I’m just tossing thoughts out. But if you went through a tumor board made up of lots of different doctors with different training, and as a group they decided what to do, you may do things in a different order or some of them not at all.

If radiation is part of it, and it’s going to be at the same level with or without surgery, some in the tumor board might say, we are treating the same place twice, and that makes no sense, so let’s do the radiation and if that gets it all, just save surgery for anything that is still in question at the end. This is where you see the difference in big comprehensive cancer centers and smaller regional hospitals. At a CCC no one gets treated without a multidisciplinary tumor board setting the treatment plan.

So please post again and filling some of the blanks and I will try then to tell you what is normal. I just want to give you the best info knowing exactly what your situation actually is.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23