Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201350 05-12-2022 11:04 AM
Marian Offline OP
OP Offline

So, having been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in March (2022), I made it to surgery on April 6. The surgery went very well and turned out to be less extensive than planned. The surgeons removed all affected gum tissue (the tongue was not affected) on the lower right, along with the saliva gland and whatever else they normally take. Samples of the bone were taken and all lymph nodes in my neck on the right side were removed. The lab reported no cancer in the bone or lymph nodes! The surgeons were able to close the incision in my mouth by pulling the tongue over to the right a little, so no tissue from my arm was required, and I didn't need a tracheostomy or a feeding tube. I was out of the hospital in three days. Two weeks later I was healing well, and the doctors said I would not need either radiation or chemo. Less than a week after that, suspicious gum tissue was discovered on the left (other) side of my mouth, and a biopsy confirmed that it was also squamous cell carcinoma. So far, I haven't managed to talk to my doctors about it, as they appear to be too busy to even give me a call.

I have a question for the forum: I had an implant on the lower right which was pretty much the center of the cancer assault there. I also have one on the lower left, where the new carcinoma is. Does anyone know of a connection between implants and oral cancer?

Marian
Diagnosed Feb 2022; 4 teeth removed 4/1; surgery 4/6 on lower right. Cancer classified as Stage 1; did not invade jawbone, tongue or lymph node. No radiation or chemo. Two weeks later suspicious areas on gums on lower left of mouth. Biopsy showed more squamous cell carcinoma. No response from doctors yet.
Marian #201351 05-12-2022 03:41 PM
Marian Offline OP
OP Offline

The doctor finally called and let me know that this second biopsy did not actually show cancer. This is what happens when you receive biopsy reports that you don’t fully understand. The report said “squamous cell carcinoma in situ,” which somehow means that it’s really pre-cancerous. Okay, I stand corrected. This doctor does recommend that the implant that is involved be removed and that the pre-cancerous area be removed, but said that this surgery would be less involved than the last. I can live with that!

Marian
Diagnosed Feb 2022; 4 teeth removed 4/1; surgery 4/6 on lower right. Cancer classified as Stage 1; did not invade jawbone, tongue or lymph node. No radiation or chemo. Two weeks later suspicious areas on gums on lower left of mouth. Biopsy showed more squamous cell carcinoma. No response from doctors yet.
1 member likes this: ChrisCQ
Marian #201352 05-13-2022 11:28 AM
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Marian

Thanks for the follow up and so glad to hear it is not as serious as originally thought. I recall my doctor not wanting to share the results of the lymph node tests a few days after surgery until everyone got to review it. I pushed him to know as I was aware cancer in the nodes in addition to the tumor on my tongue was significant to my treatment and likely outcome. Short story, he told me then that it was found in my nodes. So, for a week or so, I was ready for rads plus chemo but in the final determination, since it was still inside a single node, the team recommended just rads. I call it the cancer coaster. Like a roller coaster, you cant see whats around the next bend.

Keep us up to date. Best to you.

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
1 member likes this: ChrisCQ

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members