Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201143 01-13-2022 10:23 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello,

My last round of going through oral cancer surgery was in 2013 and just had surgery again and back on a feeding tube. I do not good good on the feeding tube feeds as my body does not like it. I am on Kate Farms and it not as bad.

In 2013 I found on this site a recipe for making your own food and for me it worked wonder. I can remember is had Grape Juice, Peanut Butter, Boil Eggs, carrot and a few other items. I do not remember how much of each item. I would blend it up in my blend tec and then run it through my very fine strainer.

If anyone know how I can find it or you have it please let me know.

Barry

Round 1 5/2007 - 35 Rad treatments and 6 chemo of cisplatin
TPN feeding for 5 months during treatment and after.
Tumor was on the right side of the tongue.

Round 2. Tumor on the lower back right jaw area. Surgery on 3/12/2010 to remove the tumor, rebuild the jaw and some work on the back tongue.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I have been on a PEG full time, nothing by mouth for four years now. I blend all my own meals in a Vitamix blender. I have a carefully balanced blend of what might seem unusual items and I make two days of it at a time, and keep it in the fridge in paper cups ready to bolus feed into the peg tube with a syringe.

I am off to the hospital this morning, but this afternoon I will post here again what it all is. It’s a carefully calculated combination of healthy fats, proteins, carbs, and micronutrients. As soon as I get back this afternoon I will put it up here for you, and would be happy to discuss how to thrive and gain weight and strength on this concoction. B

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

.https://oralcancerfoundation.org/pdf/Brian-Vitamix%20recipe%20%231.pdf

Brian’s Vitamix smoothie recipe

64 OZ blender bowl full, yields 6-20 oz cups,
approximately 2 days of meals, which are kept refrigerated until use. Balanced
for healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates.

Prune Juice: 1 cup
Soy Milk/unflavored/unsweetened: 1 cup (more if necessary to thin out the batch
at the end)
Extra Virgin Olive oil:   cup
Flax oil: 2 Tbsp
Quaker Oats:   cup
Dried Prunes: 6 each
Dried Cranberries: Handful
Walnuts: Handful
Almonds; Handful
Flax Seed Meal: 2 heaping Tbsp
Fresh Spinach: 2 large handfuls
Acai packet/thawed in fridge day before (Trader Joes)
Whey Protein Powder/Vanilla/Body Fortress Brand: 2 scoops
Collagen Protein Peptides: 1 scoop
Raw Organic Whey Protein/Gluten Free: 3 scoops
Frozen Fruit: 2 handfuls of blueberries, strawberries, peaches plus 4-6 pieces of
frozen pre-cut banana.
Avocados: 4 small/ripe
Yogurt/unflavored/Full Fat: 4 heaping Tbsp
Garbanzo and Black Beans 1, 10oz can each/rinsed. Use 2/3 cup of the combined
beans which is enough for blending 3 batches
Pepper 1 tsp
Slice of wheat bread
Hard boiled egg-1
Fresh basil: Handful/torn
2 small cans of wild salmon w/liquid 5 ounces each OR
1 large can of white meat chicken w/liquid 10oz

The Vitamix blender works best if you layer starting from wet to frozen and then
top off with wet again like yogurt and avocados and additional soy milk if needed.
You may need to scrape down the sides midway through the process…And don’t
be afraid to run the blender on HIGH a couple of times to ensure that everything
is well blended and without lumps!!
No need to strain the mixture as it will be well blended and smooth.

There are micro nutrients that are stirred into the cups right before bolus feeding
A separate list of those and Amazon links for purchase will also be put up. These
ingredients impact various issues common to radiated patients, such as anemia,
immune health, and more.

A lot of the simple things we buy at Trader Joes. Good prices, and good quality. Other things we buy at a regular grocery store, and then there are then list of things we get from Amazon because of the price, or because chasing to a ton of health food stores to find it all is more time consuming than I care to engage in.
I'm trying to figure out how to get the message board to let me put up all this as a PDF, its not cooperating, and then some links to the Amazon specific things as well. So more later and a second blender recipe that takes a little more time but I alternate the two every couple batches

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
1 member likes this: ChristineB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics