Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201117 01-06-2022 12:48 AM
Ali E Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone ever try CBD oil / gummies for mouth pain?

Curious of other alternatives.

Been using magic mouthwash to eat. Works fine so far.

I read oil helps with dry mouth too so started thinking about if CBD Oil would have benefits while in radiation .

Allison Early
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I do not have any personal experience related to treatment pain and cbd, but in my survivor life I’ve tried it a couple times for various other things with mixed results. As you are aware sellers promote it for everything from anxiety to menstrual cramps and better sleep. There is little that some seller won’t claim it helps. The lack of regulation on claims is one confounding issue.

The science on cbd is all over the map. The first problem is to sort out what are poorly run and designed studies that are never published in real peer reviewed scientific journals. Whether on this idea or any other, they are worthless. The second problem is to sort out anecdotal evidence from real evidence of effect. The amount if anecdotal evidence, particularly in social media is also not something I feel good about. A person’s subjective opinion is just that. It’s not scientific evidence of a fact.

There seems to be little downside to using cbd. Another disturbing issue is that without testing standards, every brand can be slightly different, including having different measurable amounts of cbd in it. So results could be highly variable. But if your doctors are OK with you incorporating this into your treatment plan, there probably is no harm in trying it. You may get some benefits, perceived or real, and anything that brings some relief from what everyone goes through is a plus.

Most people that I have dealt with, have significant pain. The kind of pain that requires strong Rx pain medication. The kind that cbd wouldn’t put a dent in. But if it reduced the amount of those heavy duty pain meds you had to take, that’s a positive. So I haven’t given you a real answer. I haven’t because from a tested science, published perspective there isn’t a lot more than marketing claims. OCF is all about providing science based answers which I can’t. So if your doctors give you a thumbs up, and there is not a medical downside, and it’s not expensive, I think you have nothing to lose in seeing if this works for you. You may find people that swear by it and others that had no noticeable benefit.

A long non answer for sure, but I wanted to be sure you understood what is known and what isn’t. Personally I’m not a fan of anecdotal evidence. And you are asking a question for which right now there is only a persons subjective option to go from, and done poorly controlled and very thin science none of which agrees with each other.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I do not have cancer but a bad injury which is taking forever to heal. I take a cbd oil pill daily to reduce inflammation and use cbd roll ons and salves for pain. it works instantly to reduce pain. I am unable to take anything but tylenol due to an ulcer from too much pain medication. if thc is legal in your state, salves work instantly as well. just my experience.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
1 member likes this: Ali E

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912