Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200988 10-07-2021 03:55 PM
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all...still can't believe this diagnosis. Got the call yesterday. Awaiting a CT appointment.
A little history...I am 68 year old female, retired RN (2 years now). Gotta admit not having much fun in retirement! Last year I had open heart surgery for Aortic Stenosis. Now this year a cancer diagnosis. I am strong...I think?? I can handle this. It's my husband, sisters and 3 children I worry about. I watched my mother die from Stage 4 lung cancer 20 years ago and being a nurse I have a much better idea what is going to be happening. I just hate to have them go through this...again.
I am trying to be very positive and hope this forum will help me keep focused on the end point...to live!

Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator

Hi Trixie

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. As you know quite well, there are many successful treatment paths and it sounds like you caught it early. You found the right place for all kinds of support. As you learn more about your treatment, please reach out. You are in our thoughts.

Best
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Today I went to my 1st surgical oncology consultation. Not sure I was "that" impressed with this surgical ENT. He is not associated with any oncology group.. According to him, I have caught this very early. Simple in and out surgery and 2 weeks of recovery. If pathology comes back with any "unknowns" there is a chance I might need another surgery. All a bit scarey. He said no MRI or PET Scan needed....so I took his card and said I would get back to them. I have a 2nd opinion surgical consult with a Dr at Massey Cancer Center on Mon 25th. This is a "Comprehensive Cancer Center" here in Virginia. It would be nice if it were as simple as 1 surgery and done, but that's why I am getting a 2nd opinion. My husband, while not trying to sway me, thought this Doc was on the ball, does about 1 or 2 surgeries of this"type" a week. I just think ANYTHING called Cancer should have a thorough workup (1 punch biopsy and 1 CT scan is all I have had). Am I being too picky or maybe just more "aware" of things that can go wrong.

I think you're right to have a second opinion. The only reason my oral squamous cell carcinoma was caught at all is because of a second opinion. I had been going to a dentist for 10 months who kept saying I had gingivitis and he kept extracting teeth. Finally got into a periodontist who immediately made the call, did a biopsy on the spot and it confirmed it. I will be faster in getting second opinions from now on.

Stage IV SCC of left gingiva invading left jawbone, Nov. 15, 2021 mandibulectomy and fibula free flap reconstruction surgery, Seven weeks of chemo and rads.
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Kimmy ..went for my 2nd consultation at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Much different than the first. This surgeon is an ENT surgical oncologist. The nodule is larger (depth wise) than the written reports (from first 2 drs). They also re-read the pathology specimen (slide) which shows possible lymph node involvement. Omg. Never thought this would happen to me...right? Surgery is scheduled for Nov 5th. Partial glossectomy and neck dissection (so they can microscopically check the lymph nodes). I am 67 and have similar concerns to you. I am very pleased with the new doctor and the team approach to my case.
Always...always, get a second opinion. I will be praying for you and a speedy complete recovery. We can do this!!

TRIXIE2

It's so important to have the right team. My first operation for SCC on the tongue was in 2003 and a great team has kept me in the game. Your team sounds like another good one. Carpe diem!

SCC stage 1 Nov. '03,
SCC stage 2 (clear mrg, no rad, no chemo) RND, Feb. '15
SCC stage 1, lower gum Mar '23

TLC356
1 member likes this: Trixie2

Thank you Trixie! I'll be thinking of you as well as you start this process with your surgery on Nov. 5. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 15. I'll be sending good vibes your way!!! Many prayers for a speedy recovery. We can definitely do this!!!

Stage IV SCC of left gingiva invading left jawbone, Nov. 15, 2021 mandibulectomy and fibula free flap reconstruction surgery, Seven weeks of chemo and rads.
1 member likes this: Trixie2

Hi, my husband’s dx and treatment, to include surgery on November 23rd sounds like your story. We left the doctor’s office two days ago and thought of so many questions. It was so overwhelming that we mainly listened at the visit.
Now, I want answers and plan to help my husband get a second opinion. I am just trying to figure out where to get it. We live in Florida with good options, but trying to research the best Team.

Rita Carlson
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Rita Kay...Hope you are able to get a second opinion soon. You will know the difference when you hear it. Keep us posted!

Last edited by Trixie2; 10-30-2021 02:04 PM.

I've been thinking about you Trixie. Hope your surgery went well and that you're recovering nicely. My surgery is Monday. I need all the good vibes I can get!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics