Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200988 10-07-2021 03:55 PM
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all...still can't believe this diagnosis. Got the call yesterday. Awaiting a CT appointment.
A little history...I am 68 year old female, retired RN (2 years now). Gotta admit not having much fun in retirement! Last year I had open heart surgery for Aortic Stenosis. Now this year a cancer diagnosis. I am strong...I think?? I can handle this. It's my husband, sisters and 3 children I worry about. I watched my mother die from Stage 4 lung cancer 20 years ago and being a nurse I have a much better idea what is going to be happening. I just hate to have them go through this...again.
I am trying to be very positive and hope this forum will help me keep focused on the end point...to live!

Retired nurse. Discovered a nodule on my tongue 3 weeks ago. Had quick biopsy by ENT doc. Came back squamous cell CA. Just starting on this scarey journey.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Trixie

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. As you know quite well, there are many successful treatment paths and it sounds like you caught it early. You found the right place for all kinds of support. As you learn more about your treatment, please reach out. You are in our thoughts.

Best
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
Trixie2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Today I went to my 1st surgical oncology consultation. Not sure I was "that" impressed with this surgical ENT. He is not associated with any oncology group.. According to him, I have caught this very early. Simple in and out surgery and 2 weeks of recovery. If pathology comes back with any "unknowns" there is a chance I might need another surgery. All a bit scarey. He said no MRI or PET Scan needed....so I took his card and said I would get back to them. I have a 2nd opinion surgical consult with a Dr at Massey Cancer Center on Mon 25th. This is a "Comprehensive Cancer Center" here in Virginia. It would be nice if it were as simple as 1 surgery and done, but that's why I am getting a 2nd opinion. My husband, while not trying to sway me, thought this Doc was on the ball, does about 1 or 2 surgeries of this"type" a week. I just think ANYTHING called Cancer should have a thorough workup (1 punch biopsy and 1 CT scan is all I have had). Am I being too picky or maybe just more "aware" of things that can go wrong.

Retired nurse. Discovered a nodule on my tongue 3 weeks ago. Had quick biopsy by ENT doc. Came back squamous cell CA. Just starting on this scarey journey.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,506
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,751
Newest Members
DW4388, cheridolls, cp26, Tarzan, Amy109
12,746 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23