Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200939 08-23-2021 02:12 PM
Nancy H Offline OP
OP Offline

My radiation treatments ended in early January, 2019 after a Glossectomy which took about 1/3 of my tongue. I had so much mouth pain that it took me some time to see a dentist. I decided that he might be able to help me with the continuous outbreaks of sores I was experiencing. This dentist was recommended as he works with the after affects of oral cancers. I learned that radiation shrunk my mouth and cheeks with made it very difficult to clean. I have to go in every three months. I had been biting my cheeks in the back so I asked him if he could pull the wisdom tooth and he said he couldn't pull any teeth because it wouldn't heal. I am confused because I see people saying they have had teeth pulled and, I'm not sure what happens since my understanding is that radiation damages the bone structure. I'm also seeing a lot of people saying their teeth are cracking or falling out and I'm wondering if I have that to look forward to in my future. My gums have receded quite a bit to where the bottoms of my crowns are exposed. He's trying to figure out what to do because he said the tray to take molds won't even fit in my mouth now. I'm new to this site and would appreciate hearing anyone else's experience with their dental work.

Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Nancy

Welcome to OCF! This site has been quite valuable to me as I went thru a similar process as you last year. Surgery, to remove half my tongue and all my lymph nodes on that side, was April 1, 2020. I finished radiation on July 8, 2020.

My dental care has been a constant battle since radiation. I have had a couple root canals, 3-4 cavities, and receding gums around one of root canal areas. Significant dental care after oral radiation seems to be a norm. Receding gums on the other hand, seems to be an outlier. I don't hear this often and my oncologist says it is weird to show up so quickly due to radiation. I also go to my dentist 4x per year plus repair work. I am told this higher frequency is needed to keep an eye on everything and that we need cleaning more often. Lack of saliva drives a lot of our issues and allows more bacteria/tartar buildup/etc. I assume you are using the prescription flouride gel and trays daily and brushing after everything you eat and flossing/gum picks/etc.

I suspect the receding gums and root canals have more to do with trauma/damage/decay I already had in that area. I had a couple crowns there already. Then, radiation zapped it and made it worse quicker. Throw in a lack of saliva and its a recipe for lots of dental work. Total guess on my part.

I found a good dentist that also has some experience with oral cancer patients. Hope you have the same. Keep us informed. Especially if you learn anything about the receding gums. I have been stumped on that so far.

Best
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members