Hello, I'm Nancy,
It's hard to know where to begin. I have needed some support for a long time but then have been nervous about putting myself out there. A bit of my history:.....

I was first diagnosed with cancer on the tip of my tongue in 2001. I had a piece removed and 6 weeks of radiation on my neck and lymph nodes. My post radiation symptoms didn't seem to last long and I actually forgot I had cancer. Fast forward to 2016, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had two lumpectomies and 6 weeks of radiation which left me with thick skin for awhile but no lasting after affects. Then, in 2018, I noticed a dimple forming on my tongue near the scar from my previous surgery. It was another Squamish cell carcinoma. I then had about a third of my tongue removed and a flap sewn over. The radiation treatments were much more severe this time. Covering my mouth as well as my throat. As many of you know, it was a grueling ordeal. I lost 36 lbs and was threatened with a feeding tube if I lost much more. Luckily I had the extra weight to lose so eventually saw that as a benefit. I won't go into all the steps it's taken to get to this point but here I am, over two years from radiation and I am still having negative side affects. I've been told I may just have to live with them and I've been starting to settle into my "new normal".

The reason I reached out for support is because after accepting an invitation to join a study for Head and Neck cancers by Rutgers University, I found myself facing fears and emotions that I thought I had put to rest. The reaction I had to the questions they asked made me realize I had put on my typical "I can handle anything" persona. It left me in tears to realize it's really okay to feel sorry for myself. So, here I am, hoping I've found a safe place to express,