Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200469 10-09-2020 04:54 AM
OP Offline

I’m 16 yrs out now and I’ve had plenty of experience with all the dental fun that comes with the amount of radiation I’ve experienced. My Endodontist just gave me the bad news I’m going to need root canals on all of my lower teeth. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they were able to pay for it or run through medical vs dental insurance. Looking at $15K before crowns. Even if not this experience I’m open to suggestions for how to pay. smile. Pulling them is not an option, the teeth have fused to my jaw bone and the decay is bad enough we are worried about infection/narcosis. PS- I’m reassured this is very normal.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

From my experience, root canals and crowns are covered by dental insurance, not medical. Most dental issuances plans do not pay much towards this. An extraction is at least partially covered by medical insurance.

Talk to the insurance person at your dental office, they may know of some dental insurance options that are available for you. My dental office told me about Aetna Dental Savings Plan - not an insurance, but you get a discount on different services. I did a little research into it last year, and may consider joining it.

Good luck!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)

Hello,
I’m new here. I had stage4a cancer 6 years ago and beat it. But an new issue arose. My dentist refereed me time an oral surgeon who said because I had 30 radiation treatments he can’t help me. I’m going to see my Ent tomorrow and my dental pics of the two teeth on the back side, last two that are dead, will be sent along with my other xrays.

I been informed of oxygen tanks and I’m terrified of lung damage and eye issues, being stuck inside and all the things that can happen. I also can’t lay flat and I have severe panic disorders. I can’t be on Xanax for 30 days, for panic as taking that a few days made me a bit crazy.

Do they have to pull them out? They said I’m no longer able to save them. They are both dead. The two above them all the way in the back on top need to be filed and I have appointment to get those done. It’s also hard to keep my mouth open and I’m limited how far I can stretch my mouth.
I noticed this is from 2014 and I was going to hear how things went for you if you don’t mind me asking. I’m scared of going blind too. I also don’t want to lose the ability to use my jaw to eat.
Sorry to be so depressed here. I am just so scared and need some advice for anyone who cares to share. Thank you!

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

As you already know, dental extractions post-radiation therapy are a risk due to the possibility of developing ORN (osteoradionecrosis) resulting from compromised blood flow to the jaw. If you check my past posts on this topic, you will see that it is a complicated decision. My husband did not get good advice until he consulted a dental surgeon who was part of an oral cancer team. I would not proceed with extractions until seeing a dental surgeon with experience treating oral cancer patients. If at all possible, check with a large cancer center.

I know it's a lot to absorb. The OCF pages under dental issues are helpful and your radiation oncologist should be able to give you some guidance.
All the best,
travelottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23