Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200365 08-21-2020 09:17 AM
JaneP Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't know if I have seen this addressed in the forum, so will ask here. Husband's 4 oral cancers have stemmed from lichen planus. He has never had radiation and is looking at it this time. His OCs from the early 2000s were all contained, so radiation was not recommended, just multiple surgeries. Now he is wondering if radiation kills off lichen planus? Has anyone had this experience? Thank you. Jane

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Whether or not radiation kills lichen planus, I don't know. That's a question best directed to doctors. That being said, I was diagnosed with having oral lichen planus on the bottom of my tongue about 3 years ago, which developed into a malignant tumor (SCC) last year. I had a hemiglossectomy and neck dissection last December followed by a grueling treatment of radiation and chemo to kill off any remaining cancer. Five months cancer free now.

If your husband's oral cancer keeps returning then radiation may be needed. Consult a doctor. In the meantime, it may be best to avoid behaviors like drinking alcohol and smoking. Good luck.

The number of people involved in my care (@ a CCC) is humbling. Doctors, nurses, therapists, support staff, & of course, family. With everyone fighting for me to beat cancer the least I can do is fight back and win!
JaneP Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. My husband never smoked and I doubt he has more than one alcoholic drink every few weeks. We've asked so many questions of the doctors, but that was one we forgot to include. He has another appt. up at Moffitt next week, a follow up on his surgery, so he will ask then. He has an obturator now in his upper palate. And good luck to you also smile

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

A doctor at Dana Farber and Brigham Womans, Dr. Sook Bin Woo is an expert in diseases in this area and has published a paper on lichen planus. You may be able to ask your Moffit doctors to consult with her on your husband's case.

I believe she is one of the experts in what may be a rare field.

https://physiciandirectory.brighama..._medicine_and_dentistry-pathology-boston

SCC stage 1 Nov. '03,
SCC stage 2 (clear mrg, no rad, no chemo) RND, Feb. '15
SCC stage 1, lower gum Mar '23

TLC356

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912