Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi All,

47 year old male, ex smoker (quit in 2012, 8 years smoke free), ex drinker (sometimes heavy) quit 5 years ago.

Since December (about three months now), I have had what two dentists classified as lichen planus, though none suggested any treatment for it.

The GP on my first few visits actually termed as nothing alarming, and they did this on two separate occassions.

Since 2 months, however, I have sore inner cheeks, that hurt when I stretch my mouth. I have hightened sensitivity and recurring small white bumps, that appear like minor acne spots, that come and go.

I am really scared, for I just lost my father two weeks ago to lung cancer at 70.

I am going to the GP this morning to see if they will recommend a biopsy but I am weighing my treatment options in advance, in case I do have OC

I live in the UK at the moment, but might have an option for treatment in the US, so looking for some thoughts on the quality of treatment in the UK vs US - I know in general, it's probably better in the US, but on the whole, if price wasn't a factor, then what would you recommend I consider?

For what it's worth, I haven't lost any weight at all thus far, and I eat fairly healthy for the most part. (Whole Foods Plant Based with Loads and Loads of Vegetables and Fruits)

Thanks in advance for all of support,

Last edited by IWillBeatOC; 03-12-2020 10:24 PM. Reason: Update
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I don't mean to cause you more fear, but oral lichen planus can develop into oral cancer (as it did in my case) and should be monitored closely (which I did not do because of where it was located). My lichen planus developed into a tumor (SCC) on the side of my tongue about 2 years after the diagnosis.

Had a partial hemiglossectomy surgery & reconstructive surgery 3 months ago, and then underwent a regimen of 33 radiation treatments and 2 rounds of chemotherapy. I actually just completed my treatment yesterday & rang the bell.

Stay on top of it and monitor it for changes.

The number of people involved in my care (@ a CCC) is humbling. Doctors, nurses, therapists, support staff, & of course, family. With everyone fighting for me to beat cancer the least I can do is fight back and win!
OP Offline

Thank you for the advice. I have been researching this as well and that is what scares me the most at this point. I am going to see my GP next week to plan how to monitor it, specifically in terms of symptoms and frequency.

For now, for what it's worth, I've added a whole bunch of "cancer-inhibiting" foods in my diet, like raw garlic, walnuts, green tea, turmeric+curcumin, as research shows that these foods slow down (if not prevent) the growth of cancer cells in the body.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am going to keep you updated.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics