Hi there,

I'm writing today to seek information about oral cancer, as my GP has referred me urgently for a biopsy with an oral surgeon. My symptoms began only 3 days ago, when I woke up in the morning with what felt like a canker sore on the floor of the mouth, specifically in the area of the floor of the mouth adjacent to the lower portion of the inner gums. The pain is in a spot that is difficult to see unless you specifically pull my tongue to the side and look with a flashlight, and it seems to radiate a bit to my ear. Anyway, on the day that the pain first began there was really not much of anything to see. That is, the tissue looked pretty unremarkable to me, with no obvious cause of the pain in sight. That all changed over the course of the past 48 hours, however, and in the intervening time the area has become increasingly swollen, red, painful and it now has has very obvious streaks of white tissue that I initially thought might be thrush. My GP said it wasn't thrush though, as the tissue itself appears white, rather than having white growths on it that can be brushed away. I can say without hesitation that my mouth did not look like this prior to 48 hours ago, and actually I had an appointment with an oral surgeon less than a month ago due to a different issue (12/9/19), with no abnormalities noted. Based on all of this, and I know online diagnosis is impossible, does it seem likely to those of you in-the-know about oral cancer that this could be malignant? My GP's concern has me very worried, but at the same time this seems to have had a very acute and rapid onset and the change in appearance of the tissue has been so incredibly rapid that it makes me wonder if cancer could possibly evolve that quickly? Thanks in advance for reading, and any information would be appreciated!