Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199635 12-26-2019 07:25 PM
MWalsh Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband will be starting 7 weeks of rad and chemotherapy on Monday. We are unsure of chemo regimen as of now because PET scan was done today and we haven't received the results yet. The hospital/ cancer center is an hour away from our home. I have to work to support us and am unsure how much time I can afford to take off. Will he be able to drive? Should I plan on him needing transportation in which he's not responsible for driving? This is all so scary.

My husband was recently (11/ 23/2019) diagnosed with Stage IV Base of tongue/ bilateral throat cancer. It’s in multiple lymph nodes. MRI last week suggests a lesion on his C2. PET Scan today, waiting for results. I’m lost need all and any information I can get as well as support. Want to provide him with optimum care.

Hello— glad you have reached out to this group. They are wonderful! I found that my husband felt ok and was driving for the first couple of weeks. Thereafter, he was really fatigued and was also on pain meds that precluded him safely driving. I was most fortunate that my office let me work mostly from home with a laptop. Might you be able to ask about that?

I’ll be keeping you both in my thoughts.

Spouse of patient 7 weeks post radiation as of 9/30/19
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

mine could have driven the first few weeks but no way the rest of the time. He was dangerous. But....he starved himself for 2 months literally. his mind was delirious. but I"ve read of others who biked the whole time so I suppose it depends on how your husband's body handles treatment.

I did find people to drive him a few times (2 hrs round trip for me) to give myself a break. Even if you get a break a few times, it will help your mind and your work situation.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I was able to walk 45 minutes to every single one of my rad appointments. I spent the last month of my rad treatments alone in an apartment. I honestly could have done the entire rad phase alone. I figure your husband can be alone for the first two to three weeks of treatment. Perhaps he can carpool with another patient who lives halfway between your residence and the treatment center? Or he can move into temporary accommodation close by? And Uuber has a program where they give 10 free rides to cancer patients - regardless of distance. I don't know more about the program or how to sign up. I also know that the American Cancer Society can help with transport. I would ask the treatment center if they have someone - a social worker, resource officer - who can help you brainstorm solutions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23