I had a partial glossectomy and neck dissection about 3 weeks ago. The margins were clear and so were the lymph nodes, but the staging says radiation is recommended.

I met my radiation doctor today and she's giving me two options:

External beam: 6 weeks worth. She cautioned about long term effects on my teeth, dry mouth, and a permanently stiff neck. I'm looking for people with experience with long term effects. I'm an active 43 year old, so I'm concerned with losing more functionality to this stupid cancer.

Brachytherapy is the second option. It'd be 5 days in the hospital and another surgical procedure to implant needles through which radiation will be delivered daily and then I'm done. This would be more targeted, so fewer side effects, but there is some concern about spread to my neck because the cancer cells were creeping along the nerve.

I'm looking for advice on long term effects of each. I'd love to play it safe and do external beam, but I'm worried about limited range of motion in my neck mostly, but dry mouth and dental issues... Ahh! None of this is fun, but any good questions for my doctor, advice, experience -it's all welcomed. I don't know how to decide!

TIA!
Erica