Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi
First time poster so I will try to keep this short
54 year old female, non smoker etc. healthy til now
Throat irritation and stuffy ears since Sept. Right tonsil swelled with white lines and dots since Sept. Both ears stuffy but right one gets occasional stabbing pain.
Been for lyryngoscope which was clean. Been 3x for
strep cultures all negative. Feel fine other then throat area. Negative for mono etc.
Have 8 people in family who hit cancer out of blue and died.
Worried this is tonsil cancer cuz I have eliminated pharyngitis and other things from tests.
Can tonsil cancer be basically symptomless and more of an irritation in throat and eat then painful?
Have ENT Dec 5th
Thanks

Kind regards,
Heidi
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Bakergirl! Thanks for joining our online family smile

Unfortunately many oral cancer (OC) patients do not have any major symptoms before they are officially diagnosed with OC. This is especially true when its patients who are HPV+. Who would have ever considered a slight earache, scratchy throat, feeling like something is stuck in your throat but you are unable to cough it out among many other vague minor ailments could be cancer? For me, I had dismissed my minor health issues thinking I was just coming down with a sinus infection, strep throat, a variety of the latest flu or even just a common cold. You just never know ... Mild vague symptoms that seemingly do not fit together actually could be a very serious illness or if its not managed correctly a life threatening issue. Some OC patients say they had severe pain while others havent felt anything different, no pain at all. Everyone should be their own best advocate for themselves. You know your body the best and when something doesnt feel right it could be your body's warning you to get things checked out by a medical professional. One of the best things I can tell you to do is to read and educate yourself about OC so you are the strongest possible advocate when you need to be.

You can absorb tons of info by reading thru hundreds of posts here on our public forum and/or learn about OC on the main OCF site as well. I added a link to the end of this reply that takes you to our main OCF site. In the Understanding section you can read page after page of important OC info knowing when you are using an OCF site, you are getting correct medical info from a reliable source where only scientifically proven procedures, medications, etc are shared.

Even though you mentioned 8 family members who had a cancer diagnosis that was terminal, that does NOT mean IF you were diagnosed with OC it would end badly as well. Whenever talking about OC, always remember everybodys different! They will all respond to medications, recoveries, treatments, surgeries in their own unique manner. This is something that is not an equal comparison with other cancer patients... not ever!!!

When someone is diagnosed with a serious medical condition, they will remember everything about that moment. When they hear their doctor say... "Im very sorry to tell you this, you have cancer" many cancer patients and/or caregivers tend to not hear anything else. Unless that person has been thru that experience with a relative and/or close friend, they cant fully comprehend whats going on. After having OC 3x, I now have the worlds worst memory, but I can remember every detail of when I first heard those dreaded words. I was absolutely shocked when my doc gave me the official diagnosis. The very limited info I thought I knew about cancer did not apply to my situation, or anyone elses either! As an overly independent, single mother raising 2 teenagers 100% by myself, I just couldnt be sick!!! A cancer diagnosis did not fit into my lifelong retirement plans of becoming a snowbird after my children were grown, responsible adults that could stand on their own 2 feet. Those few words when put together carry along a feeling of doom and gloom. That cancer diagnosis was one of the lowest points in my entire life, it was before I knew enough about cancer to never again take anything for granted. I was perfectly content living in my little bubble world raising my children by myself without knowing anything about cancer. Boy was I in for the shock of my life and didnt even see it coming. My eyes were opened when I started reading and learning about OC. Im telling you this as you sounded a bit like how I used to be before cancer changed my entire life (surprisingly mostly for the better). I was 44 years old, with a great job, beautiful country home, 2 good kids and my future had been meticulously laid out where I would be doing great when I retired. Even the best made plans can go wrong and with that cancer diagnosis came along, all those well made plans were stomped on right into oblivion.

For now, please do yourself a big favor and do your best to stay super busy to keep your mind from playing the "what if..." game. When waiting on test results or for an important appointment, do things that require your full attention, start a new hobby, read a good long book with a great plot or any other positive things to help make the time pass easier with less anxiety. Remember... worrying has never changed a test result or helped anyone feel better. All the extra unneeded stress is counter-productive to everyone. Its NOT easy to avoid the "what ifs..." but with practice you will be able to limit how much time you allow yourself to go there without it ruining your entire day or morning, etc. We're here to help if you needs us. As a group comprised of OC patients/survivors and caregivers, we have been where you are and we all hope you will never need our assistance. If you would, then we always will do our best to help you.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Main OCF Site, Understanding section

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hi Christine
Thank you for your reply. I feel bad for you as I can understand where you are coming from. Everyone in my family had there lives planned out too and then cancer put them in financial ruin and lots of upheaval

I go to ENT the 5th so I will see what he says and do an update .

Happy Thanksgiving
Heidi

Kind regards,
Heidi

Hello bakergirl. I'm new here but I am 3 weeks post surgery for what they said was squamous cell carcinoma that was in my left tonsil. Anyway I had the same symptoms. Thought I had severe congestion
And the stabbing pain in the ear. Turns out that pain in ear is called pain transferrence, something to do with a nerve that is close to the tonsil. This constant pain got me to the Dr. Of Ent. They biopsied my tonsil found it was cancerous and that it was caused by the HPV virus. My early diagnosis saved me from having
To go through radiation or chemo. As they were able to get all the cancer with surgery. Best of luck to you.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics