Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bonita Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all, I am looking for articles about alcohol and oral cancer. The articles I’ve seen always tie smoking and drinking together. Are there any that you know of that just speak to the drinking issue. Hubby doesn’t believe his drinking has anything to do with his diagnosis. Especially since he doesn’t smoke. Five years ago he had a scare and surgery but it turned out to be precancerous. This spring he had another biopsy and the results were cancer. He had a third of his tongue removed in June and lymph nodes removed in July. He is now cancer free. His Drs said he can drink in moderation. But he doesn’t know what moderation is. I’m now convinced he is a functioning alcoholic. He lies about his drinking, he sneaks etc. I’m ready to throw the liquor out. And he is not pleased. Either am I because I am not at all opposed to drinking, This is going to cause a major issue in our house. He says I would be wasting money if I threw away alcohol. Can anyone point me to articles I can send him? Thanks

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im very sorry to read about what ou and your husband are having a difference of opinion on. Too often patients are not able to face reality and will refuse to believe any facts no matter how much they are proven. There are quite a few things on this on the main OCF site. I did a quick search with the word alcohol and numerous articles came up. If you havent already done so, I suggest you tap into his medical team to help provide more info about alcohol and cancer. Also try dental professionals as well, and dont forget asking the nurses too.

Best wishes!!!

Main OCF Site, The Alcohol Connection

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I live with Mr. Denial. He doesn't think his lifestyle of drinking, smoking, chewing had anything to do with his Stage 4 BOT cancer. No amount of info would convince him otherwise. Denial. I just let mine live in that world. Reality might have to smack him a few times before he believes it.

sorry you have to deal with this. I know it too well. Hugs.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
Bonita Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Christine. I mentioned in a meeting with his Dr that Hubby wasn’t a moderate drinker. But it was a he said she said. So :::shrug::: what can you do. They just told him moderation was the key. Thanks for the article. I sent it to him. Though I doubt he read it. And yup he just wants to believe what he wants to believe. Again, thanks for being here.

Bonita Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Connie. Yup denial is Hubby’s name. This time I’m beyond mad. I’m disgusted by the lies and picking and choosing what info suits him. And after almost 39 years of marriage that is not a good feeling. Good luck with your Hubby.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23