Next Thread
Print Thread
#199011 09-10-2019 06:25 PM
Pam42 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello everyone,

Should we be able to see fluid sitting in the tube after, and even long after the meal is finished?

We only just began to notice this about a week ago.

Since he started noticing this backflow or whatever it is, he hasn't been trying to take in any extra calories because he's afraid it's going to spill out.

We flush it before and after every meal. And we're not having any trouble getting the formula or the water to go in. But after it all goes in, there is some just sitting there in the tube when he is finished. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Pam

Significant Other diagnosed in May: SCC Right Lateral Tongue , Right Floor of Mouth. Surgery July 30, 2019: Subtotal Glossectomy. Right Mandibulectomy, Extraction of All lower teeth. Removal of Right Lymph nodes; SCC in 4 of 23 Lymph Nodes, Reconstruction using tissue and bone from forearm and tissue from thigh.
Former smoker: 30 years and family h/o Cancer
Radiation began 9/6/19 and chemo 9/11/19.
Finished treatment in October 2019.
Awaiting CT Scan.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I answered this on the first post that you mentioned it. Theres nothing wrong. Lots of icky stuff in the stomach, huh?

Heres what I wrote on your other post....

The feeding tube frequently will have residual formula or a little of whatever has been put into it. This does NOT mean there is any problem. It also does NOT mean he shouldnt put anything else into it! If he doesnt like seeing this, I suggest flushing more often with 2 of the 60ml syringes of luke warm water. Flushing after feedings is very important to ensure the feeding tube remains free of any leftover formula. This also helps to meet his daily water requirements.

We have a great many here who have varying experiences with feeding tubes. Too often, patients get their feeding tube then are pretty much left to figure it out for themselves. After a very brief explanation someone who is completely unfamiliar with the ins and outs of feeding tubes isnt able to absorb so much feeding tube info in such a short amount of time. If you havent asked yet, check with his doc or nurses if theres any at home visiting nurses for patients who are new to using feeding tubes. Ive had visiting nurses a few times and they were all so nice, absolutely wonderful experiences with very kind and helpful nurses who took the time to teach me everything they could about feeding tubes.

Hope this helps!!!

PS.... Intake is a HUGE part of what it takes to get thru everything as easy as possible. I understand your husbands hesitation about seeing things lying inside the tube but its all part of patients who have a feeding tube. Definitely NOT fun or something anyone would ever want to have. But, like any of our other tips, its just another tool thats needed temporarily to get thru some rough times. In case you both havent been given much feeding tube info... always sit up, stand or if must lie down, do so in a recliner so the head is still positioned above the body. Stay sitting still for a minimum of 30 minutes after doing feedings... one hour is optimal but that can seem like such a very long time to sit still. Since the sight of any residual formula/stomach contents bothers your husband I suggest flushing thoroughly after feedings with 2 ofr the 60ml syringes after every feeding. Use luke warm water and slowly push the water thru the tube. The most common problems patients have with feeding tubes are due to speed of the flow of formula and the consistency, its too thick (just add a little water). By slowing down the rate of formula intake and watering down the formula will solve 90% of feeding tube issues beginners most commonly run into. By flushing water more often it helps make his daily minimums for water which is especially important around chemo days.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma