Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198785 07-28-2019 04:11 PM
OP Offline

Hi. I'm 32 and was diagnosed in April 2019 with tongue cancer. I've never smoked, used illegal drugs or drank. I just had my surgery and reconstruction on July 23rd and the recovery has been rough. I can't eat, drink, or talk. I have tracheostomy tube for breathing and it sucks. I also have anxiety and it has been though the roof since being hospitalized.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Armywife!

Im so sorry to read about what you have recently been thru!!! The surgery you have been thru is NOT an easy one to bounce back from. Unfortunately, it is necessary to eliminate the cancer. In time the swelling will go down so you can hopefully have the trach removed. Ive had a trach for a while and it definitely wasnt something I would ever wish on my worst enemy!!! Im like you with NOT being a fan of being hospitalized. For your own well being, try your very best to relax and rest while you are in the hospital. If you have friends, co-workers and/or relatives who ask what they can do, maybe having someone stay there 24/7 with you to interact with the hospital staff could help? Often having someone be the patients advocate and as their voice ask the staff for pain meds when needed, or whatever you could need. Its just a big help and should also assist with reducing your anxiety. Ask the staff for what they offer for their patients with anxiety and take advantage of being captive by seeing someone to help manage the anxiety.

Theres many here who have been thru similar major surgeries and we do all understand exactly where you are coming from . We know how difficult it can be when going thru it. Im very glad you have found our site to interact with others who have been thru similar things and really do "get it".

Every day should be slightly easier than the day before. Do your best to avoid being stressed out/overly anxious, relaxing will help make your stay easier and recovery not quite as hard. Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

The trach does suck and I'm sure it does add to your discomfort and anxiety. Doe yourself a favor and tell the nurses. Between them and the Dr's, I'm sure they could send a few Xanax your way.

I've been there. It was and is the worst days of my life. Bear down and focus on becoming cancer free. But don't be afraid to ask for the medications that will help you get there.

Good Luck.

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing