Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198638 07-04-2019 08:04 AM
Murphy Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

It has been quite a while since I have posted or replied. I developed a sore on the left side of my tongue, my ENT did a biopsy earlier this week, it came back positive. ENT has ordered scans on the 10th and discussion on surgery on the 15th.. Over the phone he said the best way he thinks to deal with this is another partial glossectomy and left neck disection, 3 years ago I had a right partial glossectomy and right neck dissection from this ENT, none of the lymph nodes showed any kind of cancer. So I asked what were the possibilities (this is over the phone) that I have a left partial glossectomy with out the neck disection since the right side was clear. It seems to me that the ENT's thinking is that it is standard procedure to do a neck dissection with the partial glossectomy. Maybe it is. I find it very difficult to agree with him on the left neck dissection and really don't want to go through this procedure again.
I need some thoughts about getting a partial glossectomy on the left side with out the neck dissection.
I had scans done last April which both my ENT and radioncolgist said every thing looked fine!
Please correct me if my thinking is wrong. If the lymph nodes in my neck do show positive for cancer will it not just be a matter of time that the other lymph nodes in my body will be effected and will be a slow death sentence no matter what they do.

Murphy...

5/31/16 Partial Glossectomy
Right neck dissection
22 teeth extracted
Six weeks of radiation Ended 8/19/16
2/8/17 Biopsy of epiglottis-cancerous
35 radiation treatments to the throat, End 11/17/17
8/23/19 Tongue reconstruction, left radical neck dissection
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Murphy, I'm saddened to read this.
Please get another treatment opinion from a top Comprehensive Cancer Centre. Your life may just depend on it.
By the way, I would do the neck dissection, most definitely . Last times has no relevance to this time. This new tumour may well have seeded to the nodes. And it does not mean its curtains.
Get another opinion first. But do get the neck dissection.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

As far as I know, the answer the poster just gave you is Correct-- that your last incident of cancer has no bearing on this one.
Anything can happen, with recurrences.
I hope you get answers with your upcoming appointments.

Crystal

Last edited by ChristineB; 07-07-2019 03:54 AM. Reason: grammar, removed identifying info

Hey Murphy,
Mine came back, too....I am so sorry. I agree with the others that the neck dissection is advisable. You are right there are no guarantees with ANY of these treatments, but one has to err on the side of doing as much as possible!
Cancer is insidious.
But you are stronger.
Nunny
Virginia
Squamous cell 3X

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912