Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I've completed 15 out of 30 radiation treatments. I don't have a feeding tube. My throat is so sore that I am on an entirely liquid, very smoothly blended, diet. Taking in anything via my mouth is at risk now because I cough uncontrollably every time I try to drink anything. It is unbelievable how much I cough when I put liquid into my mouth. It literally takes me a half hour just to drink an 8 ounce glass of something. It has gotten so bad that the coughing, more than the pain, is going to drive me to a feeding tube.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this coughing normal?

Thank you,
Mark

Mark
Non-Smoker, HPV+ Squamous cell carcinoma tongue and in 1 lymph node neck, 4.8 centimeters. Surgically removed March 2019. 30 radiation treatments starting May 2019

Hi Mark
Sorry you are in discomfort . Coughing can be uncontrollable. I would direct your concern to your oncologist. I've had 3 feeding tubes over 3 1/2 years currently without. They were life saving at times when I too could not eat or hydrate orally. It's important you keep up your strength as you still have some way to go.
For me having a g-tube not only made it easier to stay ahead of the curve but also lessened the stress on my caregivers when I was too weak to use the tube myself. At least they could ensure I was being hydrated and nourished when too weak to do it myself.
It's another tool in the box if needed.
Stay positive. It's a tough regime but you will get through it. Take whatever assistance available to you for pain management and nourishing yourself. I've found communicating with my medical team crucial in seeing me through many difficulties and these forums are great for tips and moral support as well..
All the best !
Jack
PS: I've had 89 radiations, 2 neck dissections, 9 rounds cisplatin and currently on Nivolumab (14 months) it's all challenging no matter what stage but you'll get through each one like a champ. Be positive and put your "best foot forward"

Hello Mark
I had 7 weeks of radiation along with 7 weeks of chemo.
Was diagnosed stage 4 floor of mouth. Feeding tube was a blessing. Was eating puree diet by mouth mostly soup and water till about the 20th treatment. After that couldn't get anything in orally for rest of treatment. So I lived on feeding tube. It got even worse after treatment was done. Was a good month after before i was able to start puree diet again. Now im eating solid food again last couple months been much better. Hopeing they remove tube in the next month or so.
If your having problems already you should get the tube installed. Radiation may get alot worse.
Very simple operation. Took about 40 mins to complete. Was a local anesthetic. No pain. More discomfort that anything.
I wish the best of luck to you
Mike

Mike young
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mark,

A feeding tube wasn’t that bad, and was actually a blessing for me, and used one for all of my treatments. After they put in my 2nd tube I wasn’t taking it out. These days they would rather you struggle than to use one until it’s really needed, and statistics say it’s better with less dependency on a tube afterwards.To have one put in once treatment started can run risk of infection, but they have nasal tubes that can be put in without sedation and risk.

I almost forgot to add about choking. I had choking episodes that was due to aspiration, which caused aspirational pneumonia. My epiglottis was paralyzed from treatments, and didn’t fully close, so there was liquid or food going down the wrong pipe. Eventually, I saw a SLP, who had you do exercises, and showed a way to bend the head down when swallowing, and turning it. I don’t think it was when I was in treatment, but afterwards.

Good luck

Last edited by PaulB; 06-03-2019 11:03 AM. Reason: Choking

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I know you have been having a rough time. Without any recent posts, Im checking in to see how you are doing. I know how difficult rads can be and how much worse it gets as treatments continue. Please update us when you can. We're all in your corner rooting for you!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma