Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198029 03-31-2019 07:54 AM
OP Offline

Hi all
I’m 12 days into 30 of radiation and have mucositis erupting all over my mouth and tongue. It’s even on my uvula. I’ve seen a dentist but not the head one. I was told if I think it’s infected to go get amoxicillin. How do I know?? My lips hurt. I’m swallowing but in pain. Have two mouthwashes. Will the white patches fall off? Will my mouth lining peel away? Man I can’t wait for the third week. Oof. I’m drinking my water and protein shakes. Dry mouth hits during the night and I wake to drink water and do Biotene. Any advice is appreciated!!!!
Lincoln

lincolnob
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

lincolnob,

I’m sorry for your troubles! You’re at that time when some of the radiation side effects begin, two weeks or 10 days of treatment.

There are some things you can to do that may help alleviate some of the mouth pain.

I was in pain medication such as an opioid and fetynol. I used biotene mouthwash, along with their toothpaste and dry mouth gel at night. I slept on an incline to help the mucus, and used a humidifier to help dry mouth. During the day I used to put these otc oral tabs for dry mouth in the cheek of my mouth, and traveled everywhere with a water bottle. Sometimes I threw one of the dry mouth tabs in the water, but check with your doctor on that. It was my remedy. The oral gel for dry mouth I put on my lips too at night.

You mention two mouthwashes. I hope one does not have alcohol such as top named brands. That would dry your mouth out too.

You need to be follow-up by your radiation oncologist too! They should test for thrush, which most everyone gets. Stay away from sugar, alcohol, crunchy or sharp textured food to cause cuts and feeds thrush. There are medications for thrush, and when I had radiation it was clotrimazole, I believe, or other azole medication.

It doesn’t sound like you have a peg tube as there is no mention of one?

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, ask here, besides that if your doctor.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

While I was doing radiation I met with the radiation doctor once a week. So that was the chance I had to get those types of questions answered. Hopefully you see yours asap to help you get to the bottom of whether you have thrush or not. When my whole mouth peeled like that he went ahead and ordered me a script just in case it was related to thrush (I don't believe it was). But it's nice to have that reassurance that if it IS thrush, it's being treated.

As far as dry mouth, I haven't felt too affected so I don't have much by way of advice on that. My issue feels more like just having such thick saliva and it seems to have a way of hanging out at the base of my throat.

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019

hi Lincolnob,

Be aware that mouth and throat issues will be with you, for a while!!
I am almost a year out from my rads, -- and I still wake up during the night with throat on fire, painful swallowing so I keep a thermos of Ice Water on my bedside table. I sit up and drink from it, during the night.
By the end of radiation ( not to scare you!) -- I was in the hospital, coughing up chunks of bloody epithelium ( pieces of peeling off throat,)... Along with a nasty infection, and pneumonia... It happens.

But yes, check in with your Radiation Oncologist once a week. I did this too but I tended to blow up on a Sunday, and have to go to Emergency department.
Medical oncology told me I was getting a very high dose of radiation... In fact, they were angry & thought it was too much....

I have a friend who just completed hi 33 treatments, with no problems. I was so happy for him !!
I wish it for you too.

Crystal

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users