Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198074 04-05-2019 08:16 PM
Judy210 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

We had our chemo class today and they suggested Emu oil for dry skin. We bought some $$$ that has high purity and is AEA Certified (since we are huge animal activists). Anyone use this? Was it effective? Tested some on his hand today to make sure he’s not allergic and made skin very soft. Has anyone used organic coconut oil? Trying to figure out what to put where on his body. Of course also bought Eucerine original healing cream. Oh yes, Manuka honeyF16 for right before radiation. Feel powerless in this situation so find myself just searching for anyway to make this easier for him.

Wife and cheerleader. Right sided BOT dx 2/25, surgery 3/7 for tumor removal (clean margins) 2 lymph nodes 1 pos for ECE (ugh), pT2N1M0 HPV POSITIVE (one small blessing in this nightmare), Stage changed to Stage 1 due to diffuse and large HPV status. tx plan 33 radiation, 5 cisplatin chemo to begin 4/12.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

As with anything when being treated for any major illness, always ask the doc about every single item in detail prior to trying them. Even taking certain over the counter vitamins and supplements can interfere with treatments. I have not heard anything about the emu oil. Make sure your husband does not use anything on his skin prior to going into rads. No matter how sore or painful he becomes from rads, he should never apply any lotions, oils, creams, etc will throw the radiation off making the treatment not accurate. After he does his treatment its ok to pat something onto the area where he's being treated. I used to carry a small tube of what I used (Beta-Val cream by prescription) and apply it as soon as I got into the car for the long 45 minute ride home. I reapplied every couple hours. After my nightly shower, I applied a thicker amount of the cream and let it soak in overnight. Always pat the oil, cream, ointment, etc on instead of rubbing it in. No matter how sore his neck area becomes its unlikely to scar at least thats what Ive seen over the years after meeting hundreds of OC patients/survivors from all over the country. Also with spring and summer coming, make sure your husband pays attention to avoid being out in the sun. When going thru rads the skin becomes extra sensitive to being out in the sun so he will want to shield himself from the sun with a big hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.

The tips I wrote about could be things his doctor or nurses havent had the time or opportunity to explain to you and your husband. Theres sooooo many little things that can go a long way in making treatments as easy as possible. Hopefully your husband will be one of the lucky few who sail right thru rads with barely noticing any side effects. The ones who sail right thru are all the patients who listened and followed their doctors orders and did everything their doc suggested . This is especially important with watching his daily intake and taking in at the very least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every single day right thru rads and recovery until he hits the first year anniversary of finishing rads. If your husband can take more in, even 3000, 3500 or higher calories on a daily basis will only help make this easier. His body is burning up calories at an incredible speed while trying to fight the cancer and rebuild itself which is why the need for such high daily calories.

Im sorry you are feeling helpless. Try to focus on what is within your control and strictly limit any time spent dwelling on anything negative or anything you are not able to change or control.
Im certain everything you are doing your husband is very appreciative of. I know this is very hard on caregivers. I dont know if I could possibly handle being a caregiver. Watching the person you love with all your heart suffer thru being diagnosed with cancer, treatments and recovery while keeping a smile on your face no matter what you are feeling inside plus taking over all the additional household duties while still trying to manage your own things like your career, children, bills, etc. Caregivers have the weight of the world on their shoulders and do so with a smile on their faces. I admire and applaud all the great caregivers who so selflessly do everything they do!!!

Have a great weekend and best wishes next week!!!

PS... Thanks for adding your signature smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Judy210 Offline OP
OP Offline

The Emu oil was suggested at the Hopkins chemo class and sold at their oncology store. The ladies there were so helpful and both use it, even though don’t have cancer. It was $41.00 for a 2 oz bottle but a tiny bit goes a long way. Was hoping other used it and could tell us if worth it. Planning on using it on neck and using organic coconut oil over entire body (another product they suggested).

Wife and cheerleader. Right sided BOT dx 2/25, surgery 3/7 for tumor removal (clean margins) 2 lymph nodes 1 pos for ECE (ugh), pT2N1M0 HPV POSITIVE (one small blessing in this nightmare), Stage changed to Stage 1 due to diffuse and large HPV status. tx plan 33 radiation, 5 cisplatin chemo to begin 4/12.

At this time the emu oil is listed on Quackwatch as something that is not scientifically proven to be effective.

Quackwatch website, emu oil

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy