Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mumto4 Offline OP
OP Offline

My ENT appointment was moved forward a month to the 18th Feb and the new GP sent me for a CT scan and more blood tests in the meantime. I got the results today and the CT is clear - both my tonsils are enlarged, but given it’s bilateral, it’s likely to just be reactive tonsils. None of the enlarged lymph nodes on my right side showed/were mentioned despite being visible on my neck and easily palpable so not sure what they are then.

My question is, if the CT is clear does that mean it’s NOT cancer? Or could it still be cancer despite nothing abnormal showing on the CT?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Unfortunately, a CT scan can miss cancerous tumors. CT scans can only pick up something thats bigger than 2 or 3 cm which is very small (about the size of a grain of rice). Cancerous tumors are at the cellular level, (with my medically uneducated background) I cant begin to even guess how many cells would make up a cm??? CTs are less expensive and quicker than other scans which could be why they are used so often. The CT scan takes slices of whatever area of the body the doc wants more info about. The patient has the CT done which gets sent to the pathologist to read (at least thats how it is here in the US). The pathologists report is sent to the ordering physician and the doc will relay the results to their patient. As with anything, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed as there are so many variables involved including the possibility of good old human error. Heres more info....

Main OCF Site, Diagnostic Imaging

As far as the enlarged nodes are concerned it could be from all kinds of things including a sign of an infection. If your doc didnt mention the enlarged nodes it could simply be an oversight. If you arent convinced after the CT and what the doc said, it would be wise to go for another opinion (at a different medical facility thats not affiliated with your current doc). I suggest writing down all your questions to ask your doc at your next appointment, you could also email the doc (if available) or call the doc to ask your questions over the phone.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Mumto4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Christine. I’ll keep my ENT appointment and see what he says. I’m relieved there’s no large tumour or anything but surprised the lymph nodes all showed as normal given the size of the ones on my right side of my neck. I don’t understand that.

I’m a bit sick of waiting. I just want to know what’s going on and how to fix it. It’s been 6 months now and it’s not getting any better, just worse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users