Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CM57 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

A friend who had radiation treatment for OC years ago, suggested that I get mouth guards.
I just went to the dentist to inquire about them, and she said that I should get floruide trays, so I did get the impressions to get the trays created.
But I asked if there was also a mouth guard to wear during the radiation, and she said you can wear the trays during rads.
Is this correct, or is there some other kind of mouth guard to wear during rads? If so, is it something that is not custom made for each individual? Just OTC?
I have a lot of dental work, and two incomplete implants, so I want to do the utmost to protect my teeth, gums and jaw during rads.
Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ive never heard of wearing flouride trays during radiation treatments. The mouth guard is something different. I definitely would ask your radiation oncologist about this well in advance of rads starting. I didnt use the mouth guard but some members here have. From what I understand its something patients bite on during their radiation treatments. As far as the exact reason for using it, Im not sure. Maybe its to stabilize the patients mouth to keep it completely still, it could be necessary for some due to how their mouth is shaped, or maybe its needed for patients with certain fillings? Hopefully someone who used one or cared for someone who had it will reply.

As far as the flouride trays go, that is a necessity. Anyone who does rads should have and use them on a daily basis.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

They are definitely not the same thing at all. I had to use a mouth guard for my radiation, and it was not a choice. They want to be sure your mouth stays in exactly the same position for every single radiation treatment, so that the targeted radiation hits the correct spots. It hurt SO bad near the end to force that stupid thing in my mouth that they had to up my painkillers just for that. (And besides the mouth guard there was the head thing that holds you still, too ... they do not want to be frying the wrong parts ... they take it seriously, or they should be.)

If your radiologist or oncologist are not having you use a mouth guard, I'd ask why. It may be that your type of treatment doesn't require it, or it may be that it got overlooked while setting everything else up. Can't hurt to be sure.

Oh, and Christine mentioned fillings ... THAT is a whole different problem, and nobody told me about that one either, till near the end when the damage was done. If you have fillings, they will cause radiation scatter and more pain and sores. They can give you a sort of wax to put over your teeth with fillings to help with the scatter (not sure how it works, or why it should, but they will offer it) but please ask for it near the beginning, before the damage is done! The radiation techs were the ones who let me in on that tip and were upset no one had told me about fillings being an issue before that point ... and we were I don't even know how many weeks into my treatment at that point. Gah.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to share tips. Nobody should have to go through unnecessary pain!

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
CM57 Offline OP
OP Offline

Yikes!
I have so many fillings, I will definitely need to discuss this with the radiation Oncologist. I have only had my initial consultation with him, as I have have one or two surgeries before I can start my rads.
I will definitely be asking about the mouth guard and the wax.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.

Check if your treatment facility has a dental oncologist. Not all facilities have one. They would be the best person to help with this, if its an option.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

See, I never even heard of a dental oncologist before today... that would be exactly the right sort of person. But at least he can ask now rather than later!

CM, you got this! Knowing what's coming and that you CAN do something about some of the pain and the issues makes a world of difference. This forum is a total sanity saver, and folks like Christine are amazing. I sometimes think the worst part of any medical issue isn't just the pain, but the helplessness from not knowing what to ask or what to expect ... and OCF helps a lot with both those things. (Can't fix the pain, alas, but the doctors do okay with that, once you know to ask!)

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
CM57 Offline OP
OP Offline

Kristen, you got that right. It's so much easier to get real life information here, then to sort through sometimes nerve rattling internet sites.
I have learned so much in just a week or so of joining the forum.
Thanks Christine.

Chest xray clean.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users