Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19429 01-23-2006 05:12 PM
Ruth M. Offline OP
OP Offline

After nearly 7 years of battling cancer, I'm finally doing more than reading this website. I never thought I'd actually contribute any self-introduction, but here I am.

And why did I think I wouldn't need a "support group" or forum? At 32 with no risk factors, I was diagnosed with a "very rare, very curable" minor salivary gland tumor ("low-grade adenocarcinoma") that was supposed to be easily removed and never rear its ugly head again. That was spring of 1999. Summer of 2003, while my husband was deployed overseas, it metastasized to lymph glands for which I had a neck resection. This cancer is reputedly non-responsive to chemotherapy and radiation so those were seen as last resort means of treatment in my case.

In October, the tumor recurred orally again, this time apparently changing in growth rate and grade. It had spread to sinus cavity, masticular muscle, soft and hard palate, mandible bone, and thankfully came short of breaching the cerebral skull wall. After my November surgery to remove the tumor, (and subsequently bone and all the teeth on the lower right side and front due to lack of re-circulation caused by the eight hours of trauma during the first surgery) I

Ruth E. Moran
dx minor salivary gland adenocarcinoma 4/99, resection 5/99;
rec 1 lymph 2 cm 7/03, mod. rad. neck resec. 7/03;
rec primary 10/05, resec, pec flap, PEG tube, IMRT 2&3/06, Osteonecrosis right mandible removed
1/08 metastatic lung cancer, 3/08 clinical trial MD Anderson
#19430 01-23-2006 05:42 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Good Lord, Ruth! We will have to take a deep breath to think about how to respond to your experience. Since I am a caregiver rather than a patient, I can't address the medical issues. But I can suggest to you that your Mom's issues need to be her own[hard as that is- she is caught in the "parents aren't supposed to outlive their children" mode and is scared to death at what has happened to you] and your husband needs a whole lot of support from whoever else is available-family and maybe us-but you need to conserve your energy to fight for yourself and you can't support him all the time. I hope someone else is there to give your kids a million hugs a day and let them know they are gonna be o.k. while you are waging war against this disease. WoW, you sound like one really tough broad [it takes one to know one]And I think you will get some help here. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#19431 01-23-2006 05:54 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ruth, I echo everything Amy said, and add that radiation will be fighting the beast in a good way. You might ask again about chemo because the prevailing view now is that the combination renders the ratiation more effective. Either or both will be tough, but we have lots of tips and tricks to help you through.

Let us know how you are doing. If we don't have exactly the same situation, we can support you as much as you need. There is a whole host of patients, caregivers, and survivors here to grab the rope and pull you though!

#19432 01-24-2006 01:34 PM
Ruth M. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, Amy and Joanna! I sure appreciate your responses. Joanna, I'm curious about your chemo suggestion. While I want to use all the ammunition at my disposal, I've read some of the studies and there is no existing protocol that I can find in regard to this cancer. Either there was no response or negative response, but truthfully, there hasn't been much to go on with this. It was only first named in the past 20 years or less and instead of hundreds or thousands in case studies, there are only double digits. But I'm glad you mentioned it so I can ask the radiation therapist on Thursday.

As to my children and hugs...we have quite a bit of that going on! My Mom is usually the caregiver though it means she and Dad virtually move in from their home out of state. I'm fairly self-sufficient with my own care now, but when she is here she keeps the house clean, the family fed, and the laundry done. We are part of a terrific church that has been extremely supportive with providing meals, housework (even remodeling work and repairs), and things I wouldn't have even thought of but they have and they've been very loving and generous.

My two sisters each took leaves of absence from their jobs out of state to care for me 24/7 for the three weeks I was in the hospital. They are my angels of mercy!

I really do have great support...and now I have you, who can speak to the mysteries I stumble into on this journey. The one thing I've been missing is somebody who can remotely identify! Thanks, Ruth

Ruth E. Moran
dx minor salivary gland adenocarcinoma 4/99, resection 5/99;
rec 1 lymph 2 cm 7/03, mod. rad. neck resec. 7/03;
rec primary 10/05, resec, pec flap, PEG tube, IMRT 2&3/06, Osteonecrosis right mandible removed
1/08 metastatic lung cancer, 3/08 clinical trial MD Anderson
#19433 01-24-2006 02:01 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Oh, Ruth! What a privilege to 'know' someone like you! Your plate is more than full, but your faith and your family will pull you through all of this.

I have to agree with the chemo suggestion. While it will be radiation that helps the most, our doctors gently 'pushed' the chemo with the idea that it could be effective in killing any cells that may have escaped from the local area.

We'll never know if that happened, but at this point, Tom is doing fine and enjoying clear scans.

I think I'd have to say chemo 'can't hurt' in this situation.
We will add you and your family to our prayer list. Tell your mom about this board - it might help her a lot!
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
#19434 01-25-2006 02:43 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Ruth: You are a tough cookie...Very inspirational..
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#19435 01-25-2006 03:53 PM

Hi Ruth,
It sounds like you had a pretty extensive surgery, as did I. I also had radiation but no chemo. My doctors explanation for no chemo was that my tumor was very contained to my jaw and that the one lymphnode that was affected was at the top of that lymphnode chain, with no evidence that it had gone below that one lymphnode. In other words, they felt confident that no cancer cells had escaped. That will remain to be seen I guess.
My youngest girls were 9,11 and 12 when I was going through radiation and it was tough on them. In particular on the 11 year old. The radiation is going to make you very sick, you will take longer to recover from this treatment then from your surgery. My advice would be to let your kids know this upfront, show them online what you will be doing for treatments. They're used to the PEG tube already so that's good. I even took my kids to the radiation center for my last treatment for my bell ringing ceremony. Seeing it all and knowing what is happening will take away some of their fears.
It sounds like you have an excellent attitude and a wonderful support group, I think you'll get through this just fine.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#19436 01-25-2006 10:30 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Ruth, You are not alone. Your treatment experience will be uniquely yours. No two are the same. Prepare yourself for difficult times and symptoms. Have salivary agents at the ready, and pain meds. Have ways of treating radiation burned skin - I had a bunch of burn problems, many do not. Taking your kids to the rad center might be a good idea, but don't risk 'freaking' them with the mask, or the smells or the big machinery.

Get your husband onto this website. Get others in your support group (sisters??) to read things here. Information is POWER. You and they will want it. Ask specific questions. Someone here will try to respond to it - probably many. There are not stupid questions about cancer or treatment. Its complicated, its difficult, it can be very painful, it is extremely dehydrating and generally no fun. BUT, the beast can be beaten.

Get others involved. Get others educated. Prepare yourself for battle. Fight hard. We are with you. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
#19437 01-26-2006 04:39 PM
JAM Offline

I had to chime in here. We took our 14 yr. old grandson, who is devoted to John, to one of the rad txs. last summer. I has asked Alex if he wanted to see what John was dealing with at the treatments-he already knew about the mask- I was not sure if the technicians would let him watch, but they put him in the room with them and explained the whole procedure as John was radiated. Alex felt that he was more a part of what was going on after that. I guess it depends on the personality of your child. Hang in there, Ruth. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#19438 01-26-2006 06:33 PM

Amy, I agree, it depends on the nature and personality of the child concerning taking them to the radiation center. It also depends on the patient. I took my children but did not have them come in during treatment nor see me in the mask. In fact, when the tech brought my mask out, to ask if I wanted to keep it, my always in tune with his wife husband whisked it from the techs hands and dumped it in a trashcan, out of the sight of our kids. I had strong feelings about what I did let my girls witness. I didn't want my girls to see me in what I considered a helpless state, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I have always been proclaimed the strongest woman alive by my husband and kids.............I had a rep to protect!! I do believe that any way a child can be made to feel a part of it is important.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics