Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1931 12-24-2003 08:45 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I wanted to wish all my friends on the OCF board a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2004.
I thank you all for helping me as I travel this diffucult journey.

Sincerely: Your Friend, Daniel Bogan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1932 12-24-2003 09:50 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

We have the same thought as Dan, hoping all of our dear friends on the Board have a Great Holiday, you guys have made our strange and winding trip more bearable,,,,,,,,,,,Peace and Love to All............Packer and Dee

#1933 12-24-2003 08:47 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear All,

I realize that our meeting one another was by an awful twist of fate. But, looking back, I'm a much, much stronger person now. I have each and every one of you to thank.

Cancer has shown me something that I don't think it ever expected. The ability of complete strangers to come together and show unconditional love. I'm so thankful for my soul's growth during my time here.

I was in a horrible accident when I was 17. To look at the car, you would wonder why I'm alive. Virginia used to have a commercial, with this intimidating State Trooper who said "he had never unbuckled a dead man". Well, they pulled the advertisement for seat belts, once I had my accident. If I had been wearing one, I would not be here today. Luckily, I was able to roll with the car when it hit a tree at 75 and flipped 6 times (or more). I was the passenger in the front seat and the firewall met the seat and the roof met the headrest. I was in a space the size of a suitcase when I was rescued. I cried on the way to the hospital to please, PLEASE, let me go. It was so peaceful!!!!! I could close my eyes and FEEL what it was like to die, but something made me come back, and I was mad for years. In the past year and a half, I've come to understand why I was spared.

I've met wonderful people, I've had two great kids, I've learned so many good things about this world.

Tonight, I was reading. I came across this poem, and it seemed to put a lot into perspective. I hope you will humor me. I thought maybe someone else might find it helpful.

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN WORSE

Sometimes I pause and sadly think
Of the things that might have been,
Of the golden chances I let slip by,
And which never returned again.

Think of the joys that might have been mine;
The prizes I almost won,
The goals I missed by a mere hair's breadth;
And the things I might have done.

It fills me with gloom when I ponder thus,
Till I look on the other side,
How I might have been completely engulfed
By misfortune's surging tide.

The unknown dangers lurking about,
Which I passed safely through
The evils and sorrows that I've been spared
Pass plainly now in review.

So when I am downcast and feeling sad,
I repeat over and over again,
Things are far from being as bad
As they easily might have been.

G.J. Russell

We are here and still loving one another. It could have been much worse. We will all come out of this for the better.

Love Always,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#1934 12-24-2003 08:49 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to every member of OCF! This is the third X'mas I have post cancer diagnosis and my big Christmas wish is to go through many more with my family and friends around. I spent the first silent night in the hospital suffering from physical and mental pains after finishing my radiation/chemo; last year I was home with my family and yesterday night, I went out with my husband and two boys to the carnival celebrating the coming of X'mas. I have never thought (after being diagnosed with advanced cancer)that I could ever join crowds of people on this joyful occasion. For those still fighting their life battle, never lose hope because life can really turn better.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#1935 12-25-2003 10:58 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I might be a little late tagging on to the Season's Greetings and Happy New Year, but best wishes to all from me also. Every one has been so helpful and supportive it's been a real comfort.

I look back at this year and realize last Christmas I was recovering from the first go around still, and during the last year had another surgery and a second round of RAD/Chemo, and wonder how I made it through.

I also managed to get married to a wonderful woman, buy a new apartment, and ride an elephant through the forests in Thailand. I've also learned a lot about courage from a lot of people, and learned a lot about myself in the process.

And hopefully along the way I can give back what I got from this group and help some others through their journey.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for the coming New Year.

Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#1936 12-31-2003 05:35 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Happy holidays everyone. I send everyone a warm hug and my best wishes to you and your loved ones.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#1937 12-31-2003 12:55 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

2004 is almost here and I am praying for a good HEALTHY year for us and for our loved ones! And, if we can't have health, then the strength to deal with what we have been given.
I really love everyone here and learn so much each time I read the forum. Thank you so much for that.
God bless
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members