Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Leonard. Soft foods or more solid foods with tons of gravy are best until things settle down. I remember a young person who was just ahead of me in radiation treatment telling me she smothered everything in cream, sour cream and butter. She had lost a lot of weight so it killed two birds with one stone. If you have bread or toast you need to put a LOT of spread on it. She said she put butter on cake:)

There's a list of soft foods on this site somewhere.

During and after rads I survived on fortified milkshakes and smoothies. Gradually I found I could eat a few things here and there. I'm always calculating in my head: am I getting enough protein, vitamins etc? You have to be a little bit more organised when normal eating is compromised. Shouldn't be too much longer for you now.

Best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
OES Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I guess this thread should be updated to go to the post treatment thread. I thought I would throw another update in. Possibly to help someone else to have a timeline of how someone else is doing.

I have just entered week 4 post radiation, The biggest problem I have had seems to be changing, I do not have as much mucous but it is still there and more in my throat than in my mouth. Certainly there are times when it gets extra thick and I cough bunch up but now where as much as the past two weeks. Now it seems like I have more of a thick saliva that is string and accumulates fast, still going through many tissues.

By the end of the day my throat is really sore and difficult to swallow. I don't know if it is swollen or dry, have not figured that out yet. This started in the past week, after I drink the disgusting shake with protein and calories it seems to ease up a bit. I am also still drinking warm water to wash it down. This seems to work better than cold water and is more soothing. I have tried to eat a few solid foods, really a weird feeling and does not clear my mouth so easy. I really want Pizza. I am still wearing the patch for nausea, Have had this on for several weeks now, obviously switching it every three days. I am also still going for acupuncture but down to one day a week. I have no idea if this helps or not, I have not had any serious pain at all. I am now able to swallow smaller pills with a big gulp of water. I have been doing the recommended exercise with my tongue and jaw as recommended by the speech therapist. Discomfort seems to come more at night, throat gets really sore which is when I have been taking the one aleve. In the stretching exercise when I was first told begin it now before treatments were beginning I could not see the point. I did as was suggested and now I can understand why. even a serious yawn pulls as my throat. I have lost just over 20lbs and seem to be holding steady.

Last week I began fruit smoothies, Peach, Strawberry and Banana with Apple juice, the original impact was uncomfortable, I realized it was not because of the citrus it was the cold.

With all of this I realize from all the comments, suggestions and information everyone is different. Everyone moves at a different pace. I do have one other concern which I will wait to ask the Dr. about before adding anything here.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback, because this appears to be a cancer that several people are getting I hope the responses others have give me help new readers who are as scared and confused as I was in the beginning. Not that I am not still uncertain about how long before I get back to something close to normal and of course what the new normal will be. Here is hoping they got it all.

Leonard
BOT T2N0 Diagnose Confirmed December 7th
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Watermelon juice works well for people with sore throats. It is quite soothing. Maybe you could give it a try. It is beyond reason what one can swallow or not swallow -- my husband had to give up chocolate as it gave him an itchy throat.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

What the heck, I mentioned in my last post the Mucous was subsiding, now I have this Saliva which I mentioned previously, thick, ropy, foamy. It just flows and does not stop, how long is this phase going to last.

Leonard
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Boy Im sorry you are having this hit! Seems like its always something, isnt it Leonard?

For me, the thick ropey gunk phase was very short. I kinda remember it only being around a very short time before the dry mouth begins.

For this type of thick ropey stuff, the waterpik works the best to clear out your mouth. Some find gargling with seltzer water helpful.

Hope it moves on quickly. Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Christine,

Yes it is always something, I clear one challenge and get a new one. Between the sore throat and this new stuff it is frustrating. Glad it does not last long.

Leonard

Leonard
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Here we are end of week 4 post radiation. Thought I would have stopped with the stuff in my mouth. As I posted on the 17th, it just changed and seems to have gotten worse very little actual mucous now.

The new items as I started to mention seems to be getting produced based on the roof of my mouth. I seem to have gone back to everything burning again there, someone how I must have damaged it. I am back to using Magic Mouthwash again after not needing it for almost two weeks. It seems as soon as the burn starts the white thick foamy saliva flows. Now it flows most of the time just much more when I irritate the roof of my mouth. Anyone have suggestions on how to make the roof of my mouth heal fast, trying the usual frequent rinses, trying Peroxyl a few times a day for the past three days.

Another note My neck is still sore and a little swollen where the I received the radiation. I guess this is to be expected for a while as well.

Leonard

Alternate rinsing with your peroxyl and the salt/baking soda/water mixture. Its 1 cup of warm water, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt. Swish gently for at least 30 seconds, 4-6 times a day plus doing the peroxyl several times as well. The salt could burn your sensitive mouth. If so, cut back on the salt to 1/2 tsp or omit it completely. But, try your very best to tolerate the salt in the rinse as it will help with healing.

Watching your protein intake and pushing to make your daily intake higher will also help with healing. Unfortunately, recovery from OC and its brutal treatments takes a very long time. Im sure you are like me and most patients who think a full recovery should have been completed as of yesterday. I found the recovery phase to be frustrating with making slow progress and then having set backs it seemed whenever I got ahead. Many here have found success with using high protein whey powder added to their liquids (or tube feeds).

Protein helps healing from Livestrong

Hang in there smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

As always thank you Christine, my wife tries to get as much protein into me as possible. Somedays more somedays less. I thought I would be healed last week, did not work out that way. Today I ate half an omelet, needed water to wash it down, that was a big step.

Leonard

Glutamine powder also helps in tissue repair. I was given Juven by my cancer center, which is a targeted therapeutic nutrition drink, OTC I think, with glutamine powder, to support tissue building and to help build and maintain lean body mass. It's made by Abbott, same makers as Ensure, and have different flavors, not bad, taste like Gatorade at least the fruit punch.

Some report good results with manuka honey in healing, but it's expensive. I just swished and swallowed organic virgin coconut oil, and or distilled aloe juice instead.

Virgin coconut oil with salt and baking soda rinse is also being used, and may be a little more beneficial than salt and soda alone, to help with mucocitis.

My last treatment I was given prescriptive NeutraSal, supersaturated calcium phosphate rinse, to help with dry mouth and mucocitis. I found it better than salt and baking soda rinse as far as taste. It's a dissolving powder in individual packets you mix with water, can be used 2-10 times a day.

Avoid foods that are too hot, spicy, acidic, sharp textured to help prevent irritation, and ulcers.

Hope this helps, and check with your doctors first.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo