Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
OES Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I use Amazon frequently, I can use the link in the future. After I sent this last night, I found the web site for the company, for $4.00 they will send samples also. Looks like you get a variety of items you probably do not want.

http://globalhp.com/index.php/shop/supplement-sample-kit/

Leonard
BOT T2N0 Diagnose Confirmed December 7th
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Here we are - Two more treatments to go and I am finished. The burning question is how do I know it worked. Maybe no one should answer that question my first follow up is scheduled for a month from now when they will place a scope in my nose and take a closer look. It just would have been nice to have some assurances the tumor was going away. Two more treatments and the healing begins.

Leonard
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016

Just a quick thought about the quick saliva issue ... I have found that dairy products was a cause of this problem in me. I also use a generic form of Mucinex, but at this point it is a crushed tablet put through my feeding tube. By adding more citrus to my blended diet and by switching to almond or cashew milk, I have found a great deal of relief. Also increasing my water intake helps me too. Just personal experience that might bring you some relief too.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Just remember, everyone is different. Any patient who is going thru rads or even months post rads probably would not be able to tolerate citrus of any type. Most OC radiation patients have extensive mouth sores during rads and the first month or 2 afterwards. Citrus foods would burn like crazy! Dairy products tend to cool anything acidic making the dairy foods easier to tolerate.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Also remember that the thick sticky mucous produced with radiation therapy is a result of the effects of the radiation on the salivary glands.
Kris still can't tolerate any citrus and he is 5 years out of radiation treatment.
Staying hydrated is always a good plan.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Final Radiation Treatment completed yesterday 2-19-16 . To my surprise several friends and family were waiting for me as I came out including what seemed to be the entire radiation team including nurses and people that work the machines. It was an emotional day, finally being done. At the same time it was sad, as my cousin who was an ENT and got me to the care that I needed, passed away suddenly while on vacation in Hawaii with his family. What a great Dr. he was Dr. Jeffrey Cooper. He wrote me a note just before his sudden passing. The note said "My joy i really helming my Patients and Family, I am honored that you asked me to help you"

@ Kimberly I will share the information regarding the Almond Milk with my wife. I always thought the milk and ice cream I was adding would make the mucous issue worse. Then she told me a dietician at work said this is not true. Who knows what to believe any more.

@ Christine I have found the Shandy Shakes have been soothing, don't like the way they taste but they do the job. Through this I lost about 16 pounds so far. I am still getting the protein I need just not enough calories, I really did need to lose the weight and I understand this is not the best way.

@tamyonk I may be setting my self up for depression, I am hopeful the gunk in my mouth goes away soon and the swelling is reduced in my throat to allow for eating normal food again. Time will tell, today is day 1 post radiation treatment.

Leonard
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Kimberly,

I Switched to Soy Milk, I was told it has more protein and cut out all Dairy products, increased water intake. Been without any dairy for two days, today is day three, the mucous is actually worse, I assume it takes a few days for the change to have an impact. This is really causing a problem for me, can't sleep, can't get my throat or mouth clear of this. I just need it to end.

Leonard
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Leonard, this thick sticky mucous is actually the last hurrah of your salivary glands. It is the result of the radiation on them and nothing to do with dairy products. Once this stage finishes it is replaced with dry mouth.
Kris found that a personal face humidifier worked the best for the thick mucous. This had a facial mask type area that fitted to his face. He leant into it and breathed in the steam the humidifier produced. You can buy this from your Pharmacy. Hope this helps,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
OES Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Tammy

All of the Dr's and Nurses suggested cool mist humidifiers. Looking at the face masks they all seem to be warm mist. Regarding the dairy, it was suggested by a few people on the boards here that Dairy could be making the situation worse and thicker, trying anything I can to minimize this problem. I also added the motion sickness patch back in now I can dry out easier but obviously the problem is still there. Just waiting for it to go away. Day 4 no radiation.

Leonard
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Leonard, I'm sorry you are having these problems. All I can say is that you are in the worst part of treatment - they say the two weeks after rads are the worst. Things can only get better in a week or two - sooner I hope. I remember feeling better on Day 6 after treatment but my rads were milder.

Lots of people are suspicious of dairy but I have found it helpful. Anything mixed with milk seems to soothe my sore mouth. I used to mix Ensure or Fortisip powder with milk, ice cream and tinned peaches. Anything slightly acidic like a banana would burn my mouth. I don't think dairy makes mucous worse unless you are allergic to it.

I wish you well as you go through this tough time. You are not alone.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics