Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#190987 10-19-2015 09:24 AM
OP Offline

Hello All. Need some help choosing the best place for Radiation Treatments.
My wife has had surgery to remove a tumor along with 13 Lymph Nodes, and partial glossectomy. The cancer center that we went to for this surgery was 90 miles away.
The Dr in this same office recommends going back to his office for the 6 weeks of Radiation, siting that they do more of "this type" of Radiation.
We have a comprehensive cancer center 10 minutes away from our home but now have been left with uncertainty about the quality of care that we may get from our local cancer center.
Questions. When performing radiation for Oral Cancer, is there a way to discover who "specializes" in this procedure vs just taking word of mouth from another Dr?
I know that Cancer is a big business (it kills me to say this) but driving 180 miles per day or living near the facility during the treatment presents an entire new realm of difficulties.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! Have you considered getting a second opinion from the CCC near your home? If a CCC is an option, it would be a smart choice to at the very least investigate it. Studies has proven CCCs have better results. They use a team based approach and have proven track records of treating more cases than a smaller facility.

Best wishes!

PS... Ive sent you a private message (PM) with info to help you in posting and how to add your signature. To get your PM, towards the top of the page next to the My Stuff tab click on the tiny flashing envelope.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I'm going to agree with Christine. A CCC is the best place to be seen. Look up your CCC see how it does with oral cancer. If they are both CCC's compare the two and see who treats more Oral cancer patients.

Does your rads dr. make a difference? Yes. They don't always have personalities (at least mine didn't) but he was one of a few people who was hired to work at THE top cancer center in Canada. That means he's super good at what he does. So to me I was willing to over look his lack of personality for the fact that he could do his job well. SO my point is. As with any profession - the quality of care and expertise can vary.

With regards to moving - it's what an hour and a half each way? not a drive you want to make daily if you don't have to but in the long run... it's likely only for a month and a half and if it means she'll get optimum care then it's worth the difficulty for a short period of time. You don't want to be on the other side of this regretting your decision all because of a short term inconvenience. This is your partner's life...

Also consider looking into a hope house. Most cancer hospitals have them available. She can go there on a monday - stay the week and come home on a friday for the weekend. It's free or there are also places - like hotels that may have reduced rates for cancer patients.

I'm assuming you're working so maybe family members and friends can volunteer to take a week and accompany her - to lessen the impact... and frankly the first two-three weeks she may be good on her own... most of the fall out from rads happens during the last three weeks and the first two weeks following treatment.

But do check out your comprehensive cancer center near you. See if it's on Christine's handy dandy list and compare it to the one further away - then make the best and most educated choice... putting aside any concern about inconvenience.

hugs and best of luck

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-21-2015 07:50 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

MD Anderson has been great for us. Their expertise in care is way beyond most other hospitals.

I agree with those messages left by previous posters. While your concern regarding the possibility of a daily lengthy drive may seem overwhelming (I can definitely relate to this!) it pays off in the long run if this particular center has the best care. Talking to patients from the different institutions to compare experience and treatment plans may help you to make an informed decision.

We considered the treatment centers of Sloan Kettering, MDAnderson & the Cleveland Clinic. Since we live in Cincinnati, Ohio, we chose Cleveland based on length of treatment time, follow up care (& the fact that I could make the drive in 4 1/2 hours vs having to fly). There were more times than I could count that I wound up making the drive to CCF because our local hospital(s) had no idea on how to treat our Ross' emergencies. If does come down to expertise and quality of care.

The Hope Lodge in Cleveland was our home base for those 8 weeks. It was clean, well managed and close to the hospital. Ross didn't socialize much but I found the support of the other in-resident families to be very helpful.

You have lots of folks here willing to share their knowledge with you.
Blessings to you. Val

CG to Ross: 69, NS, Social drinker, HPV +
Dx: SCC 4/08; StageIV Throat Cancer.
Tx: 3x Cisplatin + 5FU; 40 days XRT
Met: 12/10 R lung: 2 lobes removed
Met: 8/12 L lung: 1lobe removed; lung collapsed
Dx: 4/15 - 8/15 jaw infection; CT, MRI, Augmentin
Tx: 35 HBOT
Dx: 08/15/15 ONJ lower left & lower right TM joint, impacted wisdom tooth
Tx: 09/8/15 Impacted tooth & osteonecrotic bone removal
Dx: 09/15/15 Lower left/Jaw fracture
Dx: 12/7/15 Mandibulectomy & Fibula Free Flap Reconstruction