Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello well about 5 months ago i noticed i had a weird problem when swallowing almost like muscle was swallowing as i swallowed. At times i always gotta push down extra hard like mucus is back there or something.

The only reason i found it was because i was looking at things online about the throat problem and knew i chewed before so i looked at oral cancer symptoms and looked for anything i thought abnormal about my mouth.

Its only when its saliva, i chew and eat food perfectly and swallow.

I saw a oral surgeon, in which my wisdom teeth are getting pulled soon and brought this up and he said it is nothing to worry about. ENT saw nothing in throat or anything said i had globus.

Now i got paranoid one night and started looking into the problem and i discovered this problem about 2 months ago. It has NOT changed in size since finding it. It seems if i stick my tongue out more, the more it pops out of the tongue.

Anyone seen anything like this? Or had it?

Its very back there i cant see it if i dont bend my cheek. Its a bump sticking out of the tongue. Red no white at all.

Been to doc, dentist, ENT, oral surgeon said it was nothing to worry about.

Basically if the throat prob wasnt there i would think it was OC. If the tongue lump wasnt there i would think it was OC. I dont really have any other symptoms of much.

Last edited by ChristineB; 02-19-2015 01:17 AM. Reason: removed photo
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Certainly, no one here can even begin to guess based on a photograph. You've been checked by three different medical professionals, all of which are not concerned. Certainly you can get a 4th opinion but I recommend you do so from an ENT who is experienced in oral cancer. Keep in mind that cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it's started. It was my experience as well as others on this forum that in 5 months, you as well as the doctors you've seen would know there was something seriously wrong.

Globus is a common symptom of anxiety and most certainly the symptoms you're experiencing are indicative of that. If you smoke, STOP! If you drink, STOP and follow up with your doctors if the symptoms persist. Ohh, and stay away from Dr. Google. Everything is cancer according to him!

Let us know how you make out

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
OP Offline

Thanks for your response.

It is driving me crazy. I hope all is well with it, but its hard to not think of the worst. I almost convinced myself i have it basically.

I am hoping as time goes on this gets figured out, when i go to get my wisdom teeth pulled im going to have him look at it again. Which i was just there 3 days ago and he said the bumps were normal. Im 22.

There is so much on google that convinces you lol. Its nuts.

Thanks for your response again

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Im sorry you are going thru such a scare! Please understand this group is made up of OC survivors and caregivers, we are not medical professionals. Even with a photo there isnt any one of us who could diagnose you over the internet.

It could be any number of things. Only thru a biopsy can the doc be certain what it is. An experience ENT or oral surgeon might be able to give you a well educated guess, but its still a guess unless they do a biopsy. Try not to get too far ahead of yourself. Its not cancer until a biopsy says it is. Thats one of our sayings around here. I would suggest seeking out an ENT who specializes in OC and getting them to give you a thorough exam.

Hopefully it will be nothing serious. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Christine is right it could be many things and as someone said - Ideally go to someone who is well versed in Oral cancer (an ENT) Sometimes because of your age they won't take you seriously thinking its an older person's disease generally but there are numerous young people who've been getting it and if you see a general ENT who isn't up on the latest stats or doesn't see a lot of OC patients then you could get blown off.

Usually with people who chew it's the cheek and gum that are effected, not often the tongue.

HPV related base of tongue cancer is usually late 30's and up and found down in the throat or tonsils.

Actual oral tongue cancer is often found under the tongue around the sides or floor of the mouth.

Chances are it's not cancer but better safe than sorry.

best of luck

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics