Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#18171 07-01-2005 01:40 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Thanx again Brian. I was surprised this morning when I took a drink of water and it bypassed a bing cherry. I am sure that "cherry" will soon be a lemon but I am trying not to think past today.

As I always say "Better me than one of my kids."

Blessings,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#18172 07-07-2005 05:30 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hey Brian...

your story is very inspirational.

I was wondering about the osteoradionecrosis.

Do you think there is ANY thing I can do now prophylacticly (sp?) to help save my bones (or anything else for that matter) since most likely I will be having the lifetime max starting in about 3 weeks.

Also, maybe I could start now with the rinse and any suppliments which might help stave off side-effects.

Thanks!

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#18173 07-08-2005 01:23 AM

Dear Brian:
Congrats to you, I also Im undergoing treatments now. I also feel a positive attitude makes a world of difference.
I am post induction chemo and 2 cycles of radiation and chemo, I have 3 more cycles to go.
I feel so strongly about the attitude, right now my mouth is full of sores, but I refuse to give in to them. I have been using a food processer for ease of eating. At times to look at food is nauseating but I know I have to eat to get thru treatments.
I try with a sense of humor to get thru this, after my second round of induction chemo I had severe diarrhea for 48 hrs. (which I was hospitilized for hydration) I told my oncologist I had a favorite new chair over the weekend and it was a commode. He said well you have not lost your sense of humor.
I was told not to cook during trt. (because of the smells) well I am cooking on my off weeks, and doing as much as I could physically. There are days that I am fatigued and I know when I have to rest.
Tuesday when I went for my weekly Dr. visit I was told I was doing very well, the Dr. looked in my mouth and said I have severe mucositis I told him it could be worse. He shook his head and said it is very bad. Well, it might be but it is not going to stop me from doing what I can do. I cannot dwell on the negative during treatment for if I do I know I will start feeling sorry for myself.
I work in the oncology field and during my first cycle of radiation and chemo I went to visit my co-workers (I work and am being treated at the same institution) and a very well-known oncologist told me. You have to keep a postive attitude, it accounts so much for a recovery.
God bless you and all of us that are going thru this.
Cindy B

#18174 07-08-2005 05:14 AM
OP Offline

Do you think there is ANY thing I can do now prophylacticly (sp?) to help save my bones (or anything else for that matter) since most likely I will be having the lifetime max starting in about 3 weeks.

I don't think there is anything that can stop the radiation effects to your bones if the radiation has to go thru them to get to the tumor. My oral surgeon said that under 6000 rads your bones will be hurt but not enough to make them die. After 6000 - 7000 rads, they said it is almost enivitable. I got 7000 rads (35 treatments @ 200 rads/day ) and since the tumor was at the base of my tongue, the radiation went straight thru my jawbone to get there.

I think the salt/soda rinse would be good habit to get into now as well as feeding yourself very well.

Good Luck. Keep your chin up and stay strong. smile You'll do fine. This is a curable disease.

Brian

-------------------------
Brian Krause, 7 months & counting SCC (base of the tongue) survivor....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics