Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

So glad you liked it. There is never too much of that shake. Drink it! You can use the calories right now. When you think you have had enough, take 2 more sips and keep telling yourself just 2 more and before you know it, it will be finished.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ngk Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Vent away....xo

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

YUP!!! feel free to vent. The taste thing is really sucky, and so is the pain and burning thing, but remember - every day is a day closer to the end. and it will get better. Taste for me took a long time. A few months at least for certain things. I am not sure if I have trained myself after all this time, but anything processed (pop - YETCH!!!! or anything with a lot of additives still tastes like chemical waste... it's awful.) I stick to natural foods - veggies, a little cheese (allergic to it so it keeps me regular - don't ask...) occasional fresh fruits. I pretty much make everything from scratch or I buy it organic with natural ingredients (things like dressings that I am not inclined to make for myself) I found that when my taste started to come back natural foods were the most palatable. My sweet has taken a LONG TIME - so has my salty. I can now tell if something is super sweet because to me it has a hint of sweetness - or alternately when it comes to fruit - is not bitter! Same with salt. But everyone is different.

At this point you still need to brush but I recommend (since the fluoride and minty pastes HURT - buy a children's toothpaste... they are often milder in terms of mint, and have the same amount of fluoride. I bought natural toothpastes that had a licorice taste - that was palatable and didn't burn. Try a few things in the interim. Best of luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Ambra Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

So, I am 2/3 through the treatment! Just finished 20th session tonight (out of 30).

Wednesday was my last day at work. I have managed to finish and submit an abstract for a scientific conference in Italy next May, I really hope it gets accepted and I get to go. So it is home now for a while, hopefully not for too long.

My taste is still wonky, at this point I can not say if it is getting worse or not. My skin certainly is though, and my RO prescribed me Silvadene yesterday. He also gave me viscous Lidocaine for my gums when I asked for the Magic mouthwash. For some reason he is against it. He was also against me rinsing my mouth with aloe vera. He seems to be pretty much against any rinsing agent other then salt/baking soda. I have started using the (old formula) Biotene toothpaste as the prescription strength fluoride paste really burns. My mouth is getting dry too -still some saliva but not as much as usual.

For those who have experience with Silvadene, how often do you use it? Do you still use other creams you were given together with it? I was using something called Radiaplex gel. Also aloe vera gel.

On the depressing side, this will be my very first Thanksgiving out of 12 in USA alone. I normally spend it with friends, and am always the one to organize/invite people who have nowhere else to go, particularly international people like myself. I am obviously in no condition to organize anything myself now. I am very disappointed by the fact that nobody thought to invite me or even ask what I will be doing this year, especially under current circumstances. Sigh...

Last edited by Ambra; 11-22-2013 06:54 PM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound

KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Ambra,
Where are you?
We used the Silvadene. I applied it twice a day on Kevin's neck. He was a mess. We put it on in the morning and then again in the evening. We covered it with bandages so it didn't get all over his clothes. You don't want to apply it just before your rad tx though. I think we actually didn't start using it until we were done with tx.
I hope someone gets a clue and invites you for the Holiday. That really is lame!
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Just remember the thoughtlessness is THEIR problem, not yours. May not make the disappointment go away altogether but at least don't point any blame at yourself. Never know, a few might at least offer to bring over a plate or some gesture of kindness and respect. Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ambra, people never cease to amaze me - the empathy and compassion of strangers; the thickheaded selfishness of relatives. I had a relative say to me they just wouldn't know what to say to my brother after he was diagnosed so just didn't ring - this was after me dropping some mighty big hints. My brother has expressed disappointment at the lack of contact from some people, but was profoundly comforted by the regular contact of others he might not have expected to do so, like a friend of mine who rang regularly, but who he'd never had a great deal to with him previously. There are a LOT of people thinking of you here. xx

Brother 49yo DX 22/6/11 Tonsil SCC HPV+ Stage IV T4N1(?)M0. Carbo/docetaxel (Taxotere)19/7, 11/8 (with E-tux), 1/9; E-tux 11/8, 25/8, 15/9, 30/9, 14/10, 28/10; IMRT X 35 (70gy tumour;63gy nodes;56gy gen area) 19/9-4/11/11. Clear PET scan 1/2/12. 1 and 2 year post treatment checks good.
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Ambra,

Yep, people are strange. I was very upset for a while about the lack of contact from certain friends (and astonished at acquaintances who really stepped up), but after having some distance, I realized that my cancer diagnosis just completely freaked people out. I had one friend who recently confessed that she alternated between being sad for me and so happy that it wasn't her, that it left her paralyzed with guilt and completely unable to face me.

At the end of the day, I choose to focus on those who really were there, and while I have kept the "absentee" people in my life, there is always now a bit more distance with them.

We're thinking of you, even though we're not there!

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt

Hi Ambra:
Congrats on 2/3 done. I just passed 1/3 done, I am so envious of you, though not envious of your symptoms. You're just going to be through with it so much earlier; like I said, I'm jealous.

As for people, I guess my mother is the wierdest. All she wants to do is to say I worry about you, are you doing okay? Of course I'm not doing okay, but she wants me to say "yes, I'm doing fine" anyway. I can't discuss any details of what is going on with her as 1. she doesn't understand them and has no desire to understand them and 2. it just makes her want to end the phone call quickly. So, I have to try to keep everything "nice", which of course sounds like a phony, worthless conversation to me. I get way more support out of my friends, particularly the ones who have had cancer themselves. They know how to do it right, as I learned last night at dance club. I could have danced twice as much if I didn't have to spend half the evening listening to them. But they had to know sooner or later, so oh well, suck it up, get it over with.

Ambra, you are not alone in a global sense, even if you are alone in a local sense on Thanksgiving Day. I PM'd you my telephone number before, I will also PM you my cell number. I would love to talk to you on Thanksgiving evening. We can talk about dance if you like, or cancer, or even Italy. You make the decision.

take care Ambra, you're getting there one day at a time, even if those days seem to take forever.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It's weird - really some people just don't want you to burst their happy normal bubble with scary as shit news - cuz low and behold it's terrifying to think that you might have to face something similar some day.

My sister in law was the same - never asked me how I was - or anything she saw me once in the hospital and that was it - we get together regularly (with her parents and such) and she never once asked how I was - what my treatment plan was etc... That's just the type of person she is.

Right now my father in law is going through treatment (actually just finished radiation and chemo ) for esophageal cancer. - I got him into a top dr. In Toronto, and down at Pmh - I've spent a fair portion of my days off (I work a split week - always have mon, Friday , off and every second Thursday - I told her and my hubby (her brother) I would do what I could up front. Took him to various tests and did the long chemo / rads days with him as they were always on a Monday, I pretty much did two days a week and let them sort out how they split the other three days - we always worked it around her work schedule and my husband has flexibility so every week I would organize it so we know who was taking him when and where and if there were any other appointments (mo, RO, bloodwork - etc) and two weeks ago we were at my house for my father inlaws birthday and she had the Gaul to say to me... You know you're being pretty heroic you know since you're not even part of the family?????!!!!!! HuH? never mind he fact that I have been married to my husband for 27 years and he is my children's grandfather... Are you kidding me... ?
Some people are just putzes - I told her its something I would do for a friend as well as family - and ideally family - does for one another.

But it does give you some insight into what type of a person she is.

So if I'm not family ( after being married to your brother for a quarter of a century ) then what? Who gives a shit what happens to me? So being family is the only qualifier for you to step in and offer a hand? (No wonder she has like - 1 friend) seriously - can you say self centered much?

Ergh... Sometimes friends are better to you than family... And you definitely find out who your friends are... Hugs.

Last edited by Cheryld; 11-23-2013 08:04 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics