Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi
Had surgery for 4th stage cancer lower jaw. Removed and all looks good. Problem first two jaw replacements did not take, infection . Third one did well doing well after 3 months. So worried it may fail only one more bone left. Any thing to do to keep it healthy, swelling is still pronounced. Because of the first two failures DR say wait of at least of a year to make sure bone is strong. Maybe plastic surgery in 6 months. What can I do to increase the bone growth. Any ideas its been such a long haul.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Steve, welcome to OCF! Ive been thru a failed mandibulectomy too. Boy does it stink!!! I had several complications and my body rejected the titanium plate that was to replace my original jawbone. Unfortunately this left me in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks and a 2 month hospital stint. It also left me permanently disfigured.

Dont rush into plastic reconstructive surgery too quickly. It takes a patients body at least 12 months to heal before that should be attempted. I would hate to see you rush into that type of surgery and have it be unsuccessful. I know its not easy to walk around missing part of your jaw but there are far worse things in life. If your reason for only waiting 6 months before reconstructive surgery is due to concern over your looks, remember every single person will have their looks fade over time. Ive never seen anyone who is over 70 that looked like they did when they were young. What you have on the inside is something that wont change, no matter what you look like you are still the same person inside and there isnt a surgeon out there who can take that away from you no matter what they do to the outside "wrapping". I know all too well how hard it is to look different in todays world and how much society falsely dictates a person looks relate to what they have on the inside. Its not easy and you are not alone with any of this. Ive been there and understand. Most of the swelling should go down within 3 or 4 months. It can take a full year for all of the swelling to be completely gone before another surgery should be attempted. You didnt mention if you had radiation, that would play a big part in how easily your body will heal from surgery. With infections, you may need IV antibitoics and/or hyperbaric oxygen treatments to help with healing.

Unfortunately there isnt much that anyone can do to help ensure the operation will be a success. Choosing the proper experienced surgeon who is familiar with treating oral cancer patients will play a big role in the success of the surgery. As far as preparing your body for the surgery, eating as healthy possible cant hurt but besides that there really isnt much you can do.

Please dont be afraid to ask questions, you are among friends and I will do my best to help you. Ive been thru something very similar and have seen several others deal with this as well.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Steve - welcome to the family. I wish I had the technical info you seek, but I don't know anything about jaw replacement.

What I can tell you is to try not to worry about whether this one will work or not. Worrying just lets cancer win the battle. I know it's hard, but look for things to keep your mind in a positive place. It may be just as simple as a walk outside on a sunny afternoon.

I know of others on the forum who have had jaw replacement surgery, they will respond to you, likely tonight.

stay strong Steve.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Hi Steve, I hope you are doing have done hyperbaric treatments and hope they were done before replacement surgery. I have done a total of 50 dives and would do 50 more if needed.... Oxygenating the bone is the key. If you have not started or completed these treatments, call you Dr. Right away. Most insurance covers and there are dive tanks at at least one major hospital in every metro area. I did mine in Denver. I can't stress how important this treatment is in bone growth.

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thank You
Steve

ORN Offline

Hi all
If u guys have any question about ORN
Or reconstruction plz let me know
I will be very happy to help

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hello,
Thanks for the info. very helpful.
I was informed that my lower jaw can not support dentures. Implants are an option but is about 40K. Insurance covers a fraction. Any other procedure or other way to deal with no lower teeth.
Thanks
Steve

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Has anyone had to deal without no lower teeth?
I will have upper dentures to look ok. But help me through this what have you done or what can I expect with no lower teeth. Yes I happy cancer is gone! but all this hits any one there been here?
Steve

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thanks!

Your welcome, Steve! Yes, Ive been there. I have no teeth at all. Without teeth, eating is a major challenge. Some people are able to chew fairly well without teeth but my gums are super sensitive, I have to be extra cautious. With still having top teeth, it wont be so noticeable that your bottoms are missing. Speaking may be a bit of a challenge too. Especially if you take the top out and talk both with the top and without them. A speech pathologist can help with this.

What happened with my teeth was I lost them from radiation damage. After rads, they became crooked and loose. I had them removed in early 2009 hoping to get dentures down the road but instead I had my 3rd round of OC. Guess if the teeth hadnt been removed the OC wouldnt have been found when it was treatable.

Hang in there! I know things are difficult but in time you will be back on your feet loving life again. Even with daily challenges its still possible to make a decent enjoyable life. Sure it will not be how it was, but in time everything changes anyway.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy