Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

When I went trough my treat the only water I could do was Fuji Water and Voss water. For a bit there was a local artisan well bottle water here in Springville, but they went out of business. I found if you can get bottle water that is from artisan springs is the best. Brands like Aquafine are regular tap water that has been run through salt filters. Then those type of water you pick up a strong salt flavor. That was my problem, the taste of salt.

Round 1 5/2007 - 35 Rad treatments and 6 chemo of cisplatin
TPN feeding for 5 months during treatment and after.
Tumor was on the right side of the tongue.

Round 2. Tumor on the lower back right jaw area. Surgery on 3/12/2010 to remove the tumor, rebuild the jaw and some work on the back tongue.
ngk Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Awww fishmanpa....I wish. I just bite the bullet, but it's not easy! Very cold ice water helps. I use the filter or bottled water. And the ChristineB encouragement. "After you take a sip, say I can do two more!"
In this together mama! xo

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Alex had nearly the identical problem. He never mentioned salt but definitely described it as "like drinking out of a stagnant fish pond".

The good news is that it didn't last very long (a month maybe??) and he got by with apple juice. It was the one that didn't burn his mouth to my great surprise (I thought it would for sure) and on chemo days, my first job while Alex was checking in, was a race to the fridge to purloin 6 packs of apple juice for the day.

I think that you might need to move on to flavoured things. Alex couldn't do milk (thick and choked him), orange (burned) tomato (burned), pineapple (burned AND tasted foul). We tried flat soft drinks but I don't recall the outcome. The fact that I can't, suggests that it wasn't terribly successful.

He used flat soda water for swilling/teeth cleaning and I don't think he had a problem with the taste of that but he didn't drink it either.

Just keep trying, I hope you find something sooner rather than later

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

For the longest time, everything tasted like salt. It was awful! Even when I wasn't eating/drinking anything, there was the taste of salt in my mouth. I always drink bottled water and it tasted like sea water.

It's not nearly as bad now, but some things still taste extra salty. Ice cream (most of the time) still tastes gross, salad dressing...I had to use plain olive oil for a while, now I opt for sweet dressing like strawberry vinaigrette. Almost all fruit tastes too sour to eat, which really stunk this summer with all of the good fruits out.

We got some great apples from apple picking a couple of weeks ago and they were too sour for me to eat, so I made some homemade applesauce. It's especially good for the apples that end up with some bruises on them. I got the Ziplock microwave steam bags,used an apple slicer/corer and peeled the apples (you need a lot of apples for just about one cup of applesauce, though). I steamed the apples until they were very soft and ground them up in a mini food processor. Since they tasted too sour, I added a bit a brown sugar. If it was just for me, I would have added Equal or Stevia, but I added some brown sugar for the kids. It came out a bit thick, but you could just add some water to it to thin it out a bit. I suppose you could do the same thing with pears. I love those microwave steam bags. I've been using them for quite some time. Most of the time when you buy one package, there is a coupon inside in order to buy some more.

If you really like chocolate and it tastes too salty or just gross, try some dark chocolate. I like Dove brand the best. It's just strange what our taste buds go through, but for those of us on this forum who can still eat, we really shouldn't complain. Sorry to get a bit off topic here, but I just thought I would share some of my "masking" tips that have worked for me.

But when water tastes funky and makes you sick, that really stinks and I hope it passes soon!

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics