Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
soofy11 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello

Thanks to all members for inspiration and exchanging experiencing who help to make a cancer patient strong.. I have some question if you can give reply with your experience i ll be very thankful to you. As i stated before in my post. My father at age 74 ,was having EARLIER right side throat cancer before a year. He survived from it by radiation therapy, after 6 months of treatment again in PET scan recurrence of tongue cancer, doctors prescribed oral chemo therapy.. coz as per Doctors at this age other chemo & operation are not possible. After 1 month taking medicine cancer was totally disappeared, as per radiation oncologist , he was also surprised , he said his response is very good... But from last 15 days he is having pain in left side he used to take 4 pain killer in a day still he can not make it out...Now when we show the surgical oncologist he said its not gone, its just stop and it roaming around everywhere..!! As per Doctors recurrence is always danger. We are very much on worry...taking 4-5 Dyclopara also effec kidney in future... Even he is not able to drink water, when he eats something or drinks anything he gets IRRITATION & COUGH what is exact ? We can't understand ,is it after radiation pain ? anybody is having experience after finishing only radiation of almost one year,still having a pain too much..??

In this end of the September doctor sugaregested to do CT/PET Scan, but right now situation has showing difficult..!whats your experience says ?

Regards !

Gayatri..

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Oral chemo doesn't normally kill head and neck cancer. If your father is in good health surgery is an option, normally.
I'm not quite sure what is going on with him. Based on your description, it sounds like he had a recurrence (which this close to radiation sounds more like they never got it all to begin with) I would be very surprised if the chemo killed it (maybe the dr missed seeing the tumor?) did they do just a PET and determine the cancer was back and treat him with the oral chemo? Or did they actually biopsy the area? It could be if they didn't do a biopsy that it wasn't even cancer.... And that is why the chemo worked. Now it may be... Have they confirmed that this free roaming cancer is really cancer?
Are you at a top medical facility?
Best of luck

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

It's not uncommon for cancer to return, minus HPV related, due to field cancerization in tobacco, carcinogen related cancer, and could be metachrounous or synchronous cancer too, and one could even being chemo and radio resistant due to other factors. I had roaming cancer, and had surgery to remove tumors in level III, V last year, had surgery, and in less than a month cancer went into epidermal layer of the skin in level V, and needed further surgery, high dose radiation during surgery, pec flap, and more chemo and radiation. As Cheryl mentioned, chemo alone usually does not kill cancer, if it does, it usually returns, and happened to me at 8 months due to not being able to have further curative treatment at that time due to illness, but did resume radiation treatment after a year from my original chemo induction.

The throat irritation, coughing, can happen after radiation, and I still have it two years later, but speak with the doctors to see if it is caused by a tumor.

Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

soofy11 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thxs Cheryld & PaulB for your quick response

As per Doctors , they said my father age factor is the main reason to not do surgery and other chemo...At age of 74 it is very tough to tolerate.They didn't do biopcy, only did PET & start Oral Chemo, they said it will not remove cancer but it can be stop, if patient's body response is well. They strictly said v can't do surgery at this stage.yes here doctors are extremely well qualified & experienced. But still i have doubts that many people have recurrence but still they survived very well ,even at old age...Now this end of this month again PET ll do...lets see what ll come out...

I hope for best...

Thxs Guys

Good Luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members