Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1680 09-09-2003 09:53 AM
Dave H Offline OP
OP Offline

I have heard from my doctors that given my type and stage of cancer that they quote a "30 to 50% chance of surviving 2 to 5years".

When considering this as a potential reality I am familiar with the concept that these tables are averages and that everyone is different. But, how do you interpret those numbers?

That there is only a 30% chance of surviving more than 2 years. And at best, a 50% chance of surviving 5 years or more? confused

#1681 09-09-2003 11:47 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Dave, If you read all the posts on this board everyone says not to believe or concentrate on the numbers. They lump all people in those stat's including old people, people who continue to smoke etc. You are one person and if they operate and use radiation to clean up the area your chances are much higher. There are alot of people that use this forum who have survived longer than 5 years. Take one day at a time and enjoy your life. Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1682 09-09-2003 03:02 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Dave,
I have 2 different theories on this. Theory #1 -You are not a statistic until you are dead and at that time it won't matter (at least not to YOU anyway).

You've got the numbers backwards - there is a 30% chance of dying in the 2nd year and 50% by the 5th year. I'll take the "other" 50% thank you very much.

Theory #2 -All the people out there with bad health habits, who refuse to quit drinking, smoking, chewing or abusing substances, etc. are making y(our) numbers look better (God bless 'em). Of course age and genetics are a factor - 25% of us never drank or smoked.

Remember also that the data is dated and not indicative of current, state of the art treatment(s).

You can improve your odds more by getting treatment at a comprehensive cancer center. They told me 70+% chance of 5 year survival. Some doctors will routinely give you the worst case numbers.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#1683 09-10-2003 06:47 AM
Dave H Offline OP
OP Offline

The odds actually get worse as time goes by?? I would have thought it to be the opposite..??

Then by 10yr.s the odds would be...? 80%...Say it ain't so! eek

#1684 09-10-2003 07:43 AM

Hi Dave,
Yes they do but remember the older you get the more the odds go up - life IS a terminal illness.

Recurrence is the bane of this disease. That's why constant monitoring is critical. There are many factors that contribute to a poor survival rate: Late diagnosis, poor health habits, age, even race (African Americans have a higher death rate than Caucasions), among others. Poor tolerance to treatment, having to stop and restart treatment, multiple tumor sites or metastesis are all factors my oncologist told me about that have an influence on the survival rate.

I believe that the numbers level off in the 5th year. I haven't seen any data to imply that the 10 year survival rate is only 20%. I don't believe it's a linear curve. I have met people with 9 or more years of survival (even my own mother) and I aspire to be one of them.

Dump the numbers - they'll just make you crazy and give you fuel for a pity party.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#1685 09-10-2003 10:05 AM

Hi Dave,

The numbers are a "no win" thing for your mind.
First, of all neither you nor your doctors know what your personal outcome will be. I seems dr's have an urge to tell you something so they resort to statistics that are fine for a group or for discussions of what treatments work. These numbers are virtually meaningless for you. How will you survive 30%? (or 50% or 75%). The simple fact is you either survive this cancer(100%) or you don't (0%). You might choose treatments based on the survival statistics, but you can't know the outcome, only time will tell.

Imagine this: if some one was to bet you $1 on a coin toss you might say sure 50/50 (50%) isn't such a bad deal you might win so you go for it.
You might agree for say even $100 or $1000 but at some dollar amount you will hesitate $10,000 for instance. Even though the odds are the same as the $1 bet. A lot of us seem to reach a point where the mind sees nothing but the chance of loosing and then gets a distorted view. The chance of loosing becomes overwhelming.

With this cancer we now have everything on the bet. We tend to have a problem seeing that there is a pretty good chance the disease is cured after the treatments are complete. Just as in the coin toss there are winners, there are survivors even if the odds are not in the high numbers.

Yes this is a life threat, it is real and you might die from it. On the other hand you might live a long life without any other problems or get hit by a bus two hours from now. The difference is not about the survival but in how you live in the mean time. Every moment is a gift and it has been that way since you were born. Now you have a sharp awareness of that fact and you are still living! Isn't that a joy? laugh

Stop worrying and start living. Don't look so far ahead, you never have been able to see the future so don't try now. Just live for now, this moment, today and enjoy it. Sure get your will updated, do the things you always wanted to do. Simplify your life, refuse stress, tell the people you love what you feel. And practice not worrying! As Gary said "life is terminal" so make good use of it.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#1686 09-10-2003 10:32 AM

I have a post script to the above for the numbers junkie out there. My ENT said 65-75% 5 year survival, My radiation Onc. said 95% chance it will not come back in the radiated area.

The rate of reocurrance is higher in the first 2 years. My ENT told me 85 to 95% of reoccurances happen within 2 years. The number of reoccurances diminish over time until at 5 years the statistical odds of a reoccurance is about the same a for people getting the cancer at all. The reality is people get it back. Some people live past 5 years and still get it back. Some of those will die from it. There is no magical time when you are certain it is a complete cure. Over time it becomes easier to live with that reality. Eventually you won't hardly think about it.

I mention these things not to be depressing but to re-enforce my comments above. Live for today, over and over and over.....

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#1687 09-10-2003 12:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here !!! Here!!! Mark... Love the betting analogy.

Dinah

#1688 09-11-2003 06:13 AM

I always thought that after we were cancer free for 5 years, we were considered to be cured and the chance for a reoccurence of the same cancer unlikely, assuming we gave up our bad habits. Insurance companies will even sell us insurance after 5 years and that is a statistic I will believe in. They are not out to lose money.

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#1689 09-11-2003 09:36 AM

Yes as I stated: "The number of reoccurances diminish over time until at 5 years the statistical odds of a reoccurance is about the same a for people getting the cancer at all".

Unfortunately this does not mean you are immune from a return after 5 years. The reoccurance rate if graphed would be something like a bell curve. The far end of that curve goes out several years beyond 5 years. Stastically 5 years is great...but but the statistics, I wasn't supposed to get this at my age at all...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23