Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166869 06-19-2013 03:18 AM
Caco Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Particularly interested in first hand feedback (Chris B?))))

Within one hour of discharge and 30 hours post surgery for a titanium rod to secure fractured arm due to met tumor radiation of humerus, Pop presented with 105.7 fever nearing seizure and has been in acute care for 7 days post op. The CDC has partnered on his case, resulting in a plethora of tests, scans and negative cultures:
-no infection at surgical site, in fact healing well and mobile
-all cultures negative
-scans confirm that his preop Pet mets are certainly present but unremarkable at this point, meaning they are lights on the scan and not defined tumors--ruling out what one Dr. suggested was "tumor fever"
-broad spectrum IV antibiotics appear to be controlling fever and he will soon be transfer to a rehab

Setbacks are significant but hopefully rehab will help him back to his preop state which was pretty good. MO, surgeon, hospital team or CDC can't verify why this happened. A pre surgery urinary infection had been cleared up, and his cultures still remain negative, as do all reports. No clots. No blood infection. No id'd bacteria.

The implant and supporting hardware are all titanium. There have been complications with getting many IVs started attributed to his veins weathering the past two years. Last chemo was in Feb. Thoughts or directives for a medical source for review?

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Can't help you caco, but a previous answer of mine has pushed this question out of view so thought I would respond just to bring it back to the top.

At least you have the big guns looking out for your Dad ... seems odd that antibiotics are working and no bug has been found and there is no sign of infection either. Coincidence maybe and recovery is unrelated to the antibiotics?

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im so sorry to read about your fathers latest troubles!!! Its always something serious that he runs into. Poor guy!!!!

I dont know if this will help you or not. When my body rejected the titanium, I was in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks. The doctors had a problem with getting the blood flow working properly and my face turned jet black. The doctors used leeches to attempt to get the blood flowing correctly but it didnt work. So my issue was compounded by the rejection and lack of blood flow to the area. All this happened about a week to 10 days after the major surgery. At about day 17 or 18 after the original mandibulectomy, another mandibulectomy was done. I was awaken a few days later.

Wishing you all the very best with your father.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Caco Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks you guys. C, your situation sounds diff for sure and ignore my pm as you've answered my ? here. Although I've read about titanium rejection online from questionable sources, I highly doubt that was the issue. A local general cancer MO planted that seed of doubt, I was not pleased as it was yet another "guess." I'm going to message you, Cindy M and Susan via Facebook with an update on a new LVH h&n mo that just came on board, so look for it and my comments.

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics