Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ina Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I have been searching the internet the entire morning looking for a chemo drug that will be administered to my mother-in-law due to her failing kidneys. Is there such a drug called ORBITOX?

THanks

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Maybe it's Erbitux, aka Cetuximab, a monoclonal antibody, which works on inhibiting the EGFR, (epidermal growth factor receptor) which is better on the kidneys than Cisplatin. I have chronic kidney disease, prior treatment, and Erbitux that was recommended my last round in October for a recurrence, along with a light doses of Taxotere. Also suggested by another oncologist was carboplatin, if needed, but defiantly not Cisplatin. My creatinine, already high at 2.3 went to 2.7 after treatment. Now due to a kidney stone, it skyrocketed to 7.2.

Erbitux is usually given once a week, along with benydryl to prevent allergic reaction, but heard of patients using different dosage, cycles for an extended period or as maintenance.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 05-19-2013 06:32 AM. Reason: corrected spelling to make it searchable in future.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Ina Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much PaulB thank you so much for the information! Since we only get 3rd hand information it is really hard to know what is going on. This is part of the frustration we encounter.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

OCF is a financial sponsor with the National Cancer Institute in a clinical trial right now looking at radiation and cisplatin vs radiation and Erbitux. Remember that Erbitux works in a completely different way, and it may or may not substitute for cisplatin, but may just be helpful in conjunction with it. All of your cells know what to do because they are told when to do what by protein messengers. (Everyone has a unique proteome that sends these proteins out just like the have a unique genome). Our cells have receptor sites on their exteriors that these messenger proteins, each dedicated to different function, "plug into" for lack of a better lay term, to deliver their message to replicate, etc. Erbitux blocks the receptor site that accepts the "time to replicate protein" so the cell does not get the message. As we all know malignant cells are replicating at far faster rates than normal cells. So this process of blocking the receptor site allows conventional therapies like radiation to work better because they are are not trying to keep up with the rapid production of new malignant cells. Because of this method of action it isn't a killer, and therefore is never used as a mono therapy.

Cisplatin is a systemic poison. An old school chemotherapy idea that has been around for many years. Everyone knows how toxic it is. The question of the study is could we get the same rates of remission with a less toxic drug even if it wasn't a killer? This study is also the first to use an iPad collection system for quality of life questions being asked of oral cancer patients so that we can improve the passage through treatment and after. OCF purchased and reprogrammed 100 iPads with a custom questionnaire which were given to the 100 clinical centers running the trial and are used for the data collection. OCF was able to piggyback getting information that we need on the qol issues (that we were already involved in) if we covered the costs for our add on. Data from all this should be available at the end of 2014.

Here's an OCF web site page on some of these newer kinds of ideas which is where cancer treatment research is headed now. Erbitux was one of the first successful attempts after a similar lung cancer drug, and head and next is its second indication, colorectal cancer was its first.

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/targeted_therapies.htm

OCF is also involved in a trial looking at a new molecule (three are three being studied at three different institutions) that will interrupt HPV's ability to express the proteins that cause it to immortalize a cell and take it over into malignancy. Obviously, this for the first time would give us a therapeutic treatment in HPV related oral cancers, and perhaps a path to a preventative therapy for those infected with HPV and not eligible for the vaccine that is out there already prior to development of a cancer.

These are just a couple of projects that show your OCF donations at work.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 05-20-2013 12:05 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Thank you for posting this, Brian. It is exciting that OCF is a sponsor in clinical trials. I always valued the Forum for support, and now to see how donations can make an impact on the study and treatment of OC is nothing short of awesome!

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260