Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tamvonk #163575 04-03-2013 04:58 PM
OP Offline

I don't have a nebulizer but the phlem comes up my stoma not my throat. that's why I have to suction it. thank you so much for replying and sending the pm. I really appreciate your kindness.
God bless,
debbiejeanne

laryngeal cancer in 8/09. 35 rad tremnts no surgery. Recurrence in 2/12. Complete laryngectomy. 10/12 pet scan, clean ned.
debbiejeanne #163582 04-03-2013 08:16 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Yes debiejeanne, I realise the phlegm comes up from your stoma. It comes from your lungs and then out the stoma. In your old life when everything was connected normally, your nose did a great job at moistening and warming the air you breathe. Now that your airway is no longer connected to the nose and throat, you are breathing in colder and much drier air. This is why you have to add moisture. The cold dry air dries out the secretions in your lungs making it thick and difficult to cough out. That's why larys need a humidifier and to nebulizer saline down the stoma. This keeps it moist. Do you wear a cover of any sort over your stoma?I really recommend you read the webwhispers site to help you understand and care for your stoma and lungs. There are many different sorts of covers available in the US to protect the airway and maintain the lungs in as healthy a condition as possible.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
debbiejeanne #163584 04-03-2013 11:19 PM

Hi debbie
yes i still have phlem but it is not too big a problem for me. i use a nebulisa a few times a day and that keeps the stoma clear, plus i have a very good cough. my cough is that good it impressed all the medical staff. this is despite the fact i was a very heavy smoker for 43 years prior to my cancer. i have not had to use the suction since 2 weeks after my operation and i didnt use it to much then either, as i said my cough helps me it sounds terrible though when i am coughing

in the uk when you are discharged from hospital as a larry they look after you very well. i have a mains nebulisa on a years loan that is very good. i also got my speech aid on loan, plus a bag of goodies from the company that provide all the larry supplies i need. the goodie bag included a mirror on a stand a mini torch to shine down the stoma and pair of long nose forceps to get any stubourn bits of phlem out.....sounds grousome but it works very well for me. i was very loath to use them when i first came out. now it is not a problem, i reckon i nearly put them the full 3" into my stoma. it's a great sense of satisfaction when you clear a really stubourn piece as well smile i'm sure other larry's can relate to this cool

i have a portable nebulisa i bought a month ago and its the best thing since sliced bread i would reccomend it to anyone, it has given me my independance and allowed me to get out and about. i know tammy has bought one for her husband as well and finds it usful..(hi Tammy)

in the uk our NHS is free, well not free as i have paid national insuranse contributions into it all my working life. we do have the advantage of piece of mind in knowing that any treatment needed will not be refused because we cant pay. as a cancer patient you also qualify for free prescriptions as well. i had to pay over �7 for every precription before the cancer.if i needed more than 1 item it got exspensive.

as tammy said if you havnt got a nebulisa get one asap as the suction alone is not really clearing the stoma in my opinion. a nebulisa and a good cough does great things for me.

i have noticed i need to take out shares in paper tissue companies now. i go through loads frown

i hope you can get your phlem problem sorted out as that seem to be quite a lot of suction you still need a year after your operation. i have learnt that every operation is different though and we all react differently to the treatment

having cancer has also shown me who my true friends are as well. the support i have had off them, family and work has really helped my recovery smile

total laryngectomy since november 2012
smoked for 43 years since age of 12.
had a sore throat and ignored it.
tamvonk #163612 04-04-2013 03:43 PM
OP Offline

tammy, thank you for the info. my docs have never mentioned a nebulizer to me. I use hme's to cover my stoma. they go in my lary tube or the stickie I use to talk with. do u know if insurance covers the nebulizer? what about the humidifier? I am on a fixed income and there's not a lot of money left over after paying the bills. if it helps me be mobile again I guess it's worth it. thanks again for the info. I will definitely ck into the nebulizer and humidifier.
God bless,
debbiejeanne

laryngeal cancer in 8/09. 35 rad tremnts no surgery. Recurrence in 2/12. Complete laryngectomy. 10/12 pet scan, clean ned.
davek38 #163614 04-04-2013 04:04 PM
OP Offline

thank you so much for all the info. I, too, smoked for 43 years but my lungs feel clear. I guess that's where the phlem is coming from tho. I will definitely try the nebulizer also plan to read on webwhispers about the stoma. I just joined this site and have learned so much already. the people on here are very helpful. thank you again for sharing your info.
God bless,
debbiejeanne

debbiejeanne #163615 04-04-2013 04:22 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Wish I could help you further, but I live in New Zealand so do not know how the health system and insurance works in the US.
There is also an International Association of Laryngectomees - IAL. If you google them they should come up. I think that you are able to contact them and they will provide assistance.
Using the HME filter is a very good idea for both filtering the air you breathe and helping to moisturise..
Really hope your quality of life will improve - I'm sure of it.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
ChristineB #163617 04-04-2013 04:26 PM
OP Offline

Christine, thank you for replying. you've been put thru hell and i'm truly sorry for that. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful b/c I am thankful to be alive. it's just hard sometimes. although after reading about you it makes my recovery seem like a piece of cake. it's great that you remain so positive and want to give back. I admire people like you. I did sign up to be part of webwhispers.org. I plan to do some reading on that site as well. I also plan to get a nebulizer like tammy recommended. if I can stop needing the suction machine so much, i'll feel a lot better and a lot more free. right now I feel confined to the house.
Thank you again for the info. I truly appreciate it.
God bless you,
debbiejeanne

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics