Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

So glad things are going well! Good luck on the 8th

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thank you Cheryl. If it werent for this site, I'd be crazy with anxiety right now. Being able to ask questions, talk to people who have been through it and read about their experiences has helped to alleviate some of the fear of the unknown. Still a little nervous, though. This is the first time that I have ever had surgery! First time in the hospital except to have babies. Never had any health issues until now. I think that I have been examined, scanned, poked, prodded and consulted with more these past 2 and half weeks than my whole 52 years put together! So grateful that there is something that they can do, though. It may be a long road and there may be reoccurances (I hope not though) but I will have to face that one day at a time. I cannot worry about tomorrow; its hard to second guess what may come. I am looking on the bright side. Right now, today, they feel that they can effectively treat it. I will take that and be thankful. One thing this cancer diagnosis has done for me. It has changed me to the core. It has made me a better person. It has made me appreciate each and every God given day. No more taking time for granted! In a way, I feel blessed because I could have gone my whole life and maybe died of old age or whatever and not have really lived in the moment. This gives me a chance to really be appreciative of each day; to appreciate the little things that should be appreciated instead of rushing around at such a mad pace. I know this whole thing sucks. I'm just trying to take away something good from it and look on the bright side. I know that time may change my whole attitude as I have only begun this journey and there are harder times ahead. But I do hope I keep my spirits up.

2/13/13 Dx scc anterior 2/3 of ventral surface of tongue
3/8/2013 partial glossectomy neck dissection at Wake Forest
1 out of 61 nodes had cancer but was encapsulated
4/22/13 rad tx started; 30 sessions over 6 weeks at Wake Forest
6/4/13 finished rad tx
9/5/13 PET scan NED
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I think you'll do fine! It is.a life changing diagnosis but attitude makes a major difference in outcome and how well you do. The first few days post op aren't too bad despite the surgery - if you have a neck dissection there will be minimal pain because you are numb! You'll be drooly - if you have a trache you won't be able to speak so bring a tablet or something to write on. You may have drains. But they come out quickly - usually. Being suctioned is not fun of you have a trache!! They will also have a suction machine at bedside to suck up the drool in your mouth... We were very close for the first 5 days! It was my best buddy. They'll also out in an ng tube for nutrition. But rest assured a few weeks later you should be getting back to normal.
Hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Monica,

I'm sure you will do fantastic. Surgery is never fun, but everyone was shocked at how quick the recovery time was for the surgery itself.

My PET was positive for nodes on both sides, but the pathology came back negative on all of them. As a result I had a bilateral neck dissection (both sides of my neck), which entailed a longer surgery, and they "rebuilt" my tongue with my forearm.

I'm happy to walk you through exactly what happens if you have questions (I had thousands when I first found out).

Given that I am missing just over half of my tongue, my speech is very good. Close friends say I sound a bit stuffed up, but many others who didn't know me as well, don't notice a difference.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt
tina77 #162335 03-04-2013 09:41 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Tina, it sounds as though you are doing so well. Can I ask when you had your surgery? My husband had 60% of his tongue and the floor of his mouth removed plus a double neck dissection, first dissection in may when a small tumour was removed and the other side in November with the more radical surgery. His flap was from his thigh. He has just finished 6 weeks of radiotherapy and still struggling with talking and eating. He was speaking fine before the RT. it's very encouraging to read your post. Thanks

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Sue,

My surgery was October 11, 2012, with my flap from my forearm, and a graft from my thigh, so I'm not quite 5 months in. Kicking ass and taking names, so to speak.

All my best to your hubby. There are some hard days but they get better.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members