Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Mick/Jamos, I also had the weird smell thing. My partner smelt strongly of vegetables, which I found very disconcerting! But be assured, it doesn't last. I can't remember when it stopped, but it did and my taste for food is pretty much back to normal too. Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

I cant see why you would change the removal route if its a "normal" PEG.
Surely it is simple and over and done with just pulling it out. No waiting to make sure ( and checking ) to ensure it is passed.
I change Kris's Mickey when needed and it is so simple. Out and In.Can not see why Cut and push would be preferable.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
MickeyW Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Well just a note. Yesterday I was sipping my water and I decided to try to drink the whole bottle. I did it. I was so happy, I decided I would try to drink my jevity. I did it. I have not used my peg for the last 3 feedings (still did the maintenance water this morning).
I hope that I can continue to drink and not used the peg. I will wait a few days to see if I can swallow a pill or even try to eat something

large lymph node Left Neck around May 22 2012
ENT June 6, did needle Biopsy - Negative
ENT CT scan July 9 - Negative
Remove lymph node July 26, DX - SSC - T1N2aM0
PET Aug 7, BOT
Aug 14, endoscopy, 1cm - clear margin HPV+
TX 33 IMRT - 6 Chemo - Taxol/Carboplatin
TX chemo 09/04/12 RAD 09/05/12
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Eat with a large water chaser at first. Keep that water handy. Thrilled to hear you have been able to drink - you are well on the way!! Well done.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

That is really great to hear! You are on your way. If you can do the water you may be able to handle things like scrambled eggs as long as they are not too dry. Just have the water ready as was said before.
Great job just going for it!!
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am 2 weeks into avoiding using my PEG, and want to eat everything, but still take meds trough PEG. Soggy every thing is the key and go slow. I have choked and been coughing beans and milk down my nose, but it is so good to be back eating. the choking is scarey as it difficult to clear. A lot off trial and error, mashed potato better than rice, pasta not great. Fresh tomato less acid than yogurt? go figure. Creme caramel great.

21st March squall cells.Endescopy not oesophagus, ENT .April endo nose CAT MRI general Panendoscopy prim-HPV 16 base of left tongue one node-stage 2.23rd of May.14/5/12 9 teeth out.8/6/12 PICC inserted.11/6/12 1st Chemos 25/6/12 2nd Chemo Cisplatin5FU:27/6/12 PEG23/8/12 Radiation finished 1/9/12.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Mickey, it may seem a long haul, and hard to notice the moves forward but they will be happening. I have felt pretty stuck with my swallowing for a while, but I am now only needing one Fortisip bottle a day to meet my calorie intake and yesterday I had none, so something must be improving. Also my RIG scar is no longer looking like a second belly button! Look forward to the future. Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
MickeyW Offline OP
OP Offline

Today is Sunday and I feel not good. I went to Thanksgiving and there were a few running nose kids (grandbaby and grandcousins).
Also yesterday I cleaned out my closet, as it had a layer of dust on the clothes and everywhere from some home maintenance. As I was cleaning it out I was sneezing (allergies) so I put on a dust mask, perhaps a little late.
So last night I started a drippy nose (clear), congestion, and a little cough which was dry and none productive. (I took a decongestant and a Antihistamine) (it dried out my nose and throat)
My temp this morning was 100.6 so I took Advil, still had some chills and cough and congestion. About 5 hours later I took my temp and it was 101.3, so I called the nurse on call. (I am 6 weeks past chemo and 5 weeks past radiation)
I ALSO told her I am getting a bad smell from my PEG ever now and then. She said to keep taking Advil or Tylenol and call a and talk to the Doctor Monday.
Then she called back about 20mins later and said if my temp gets above 100.5 to go to ER because she thinks I May have PEG infection. She said they will take out the PEG and check for infection and give anti-biotic.
Well about 1.5 hours later it was 99.7 and I don't feel the chills either.

Question, Since I started Drinking my Jevity (and eating a LITTLE) I haven't used my PEG for food in 10 days or so. When I drink my 2 cans (8oz each) I have been slamming it down less that 5 mins for both. Could I be drinking too much at once and it is coming out of my stomach?
My stomach has always been big and it still is.
?
I will go to the ER if my temp goes up, but I don't want to spend the night... ofcourse... And the OC office clinic was closed Thrs and Fri for holidays so it will be triple packed Monday and don't really want to go there....

large lymph node Left Neck around May 22 2012
ENT June 6, did needle Biopsy - Negative
ENT CT scan July 9 - Negative
Remove lymph node July 26, DX - SSC - T1N2aM0
PET Aug 7, BOT
Aug 14, endoscopy, 1cm - clear margin HPV+
TX 33 IMRT - 6 Chemo - Taxol/Carboplatin
TX chemo 09/04/12 RAD 09/05/12
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

I think you just have a viral infection and will have to ride it out.As you are 6 weeks post chemo your immune system and blood cells should have recovered.
I dont think you will be drinking too quickly and it coming out into your stomach. Most PEGS in my experience have a small amount of serous type ooze around them that can have an odour. You would have a degree of abdominal pain and increasing abdominal distension if your Jevity was leaking into your abdomen and you would have a very high temperature. Also if you are having normal bowel motions this would also rule abdominal spill out.
Get plenty of rest. Drink plenty of fluids and continue to take Paracetamol for an elevated temperature.
Of course, should you have a persistantly and markedly elevated temp. with chills and shakes ( rigors ) and increasing abdominal pain then get to the ER.
You could also flush your PEG with a small amount of water, about 30 mls to flush the line.
Take care,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

Hello Mickey:
When I had an infection in my PEG (opening), I didn't have a much of a temperature at all, just 99.5 and just felt nauseated and crappy. The area around my PEG seemed sore, but I didn't associate it with the way I felt UNTIL I got up in the morning, was walking down the hall, and the PEG literally fell out. All of this brown goop came pouring out. It wasn't a pleasant site or odor. I couldn't reach my gastro doctor, so held a towell over the hole/mess and went to an appointment I had with my chemo doctor. He immediately took a culture. Meanwhile gastro doctor called and said go to hospital to have it re-inserted. I went to hospital, but it was so sore around that area I could not stand the throught of having another put in, so refused. Gastro doctor wasn't happy at all, but since I had been drinking my Jevity for weeks, and managing to swallow my pills (crushed), I decided to try without another PEG. My chemo doctor called and said I had pseudomonas bacteria and prescribed antibiotics (forever, it seemed). So I'm glad I didn't let them put PEG back in. I slowly added small bites to eat with the Jevity, and never had another PEG put in. I think it was a little longer than your timeframe with a PEG, but maybe you'll be able to do likewise. I just picked up on he smelly part of your PEG, and it's something you should have checked out as pseudomonas does have that symptom. Not to scare you, and you won't die from it, but if you have it, you need antibiotics. I wish you well.
Julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics