Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152711 08-02-2012 08:20 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I can't stop crying. I finally can talk again after radiation and I sound nothing like I did before radiation.
I think part of what is happening is that now I don't have all my focus on waiting to speak again everything else is catching up with me.
Anything will set me off. My brother was watching a DVD we watched together before this happened and I started crying. And I can't control it.
I'm just sick of being sad and REALLY sad and disapointed that my speech is worse now when it was the same after my operation.
I'm scared I'll never sound the same.

Large sore on right side tongue. Had for 3 mos. biopsied came back stage 2 well differentiated tongue cancer. Partial tongue removal and neck disect. On feb142012. Rads for 6weeks finished in June. Couldn't speak or eat for 5 months. Clear pet scan dec 2012. Former smoker hpv- 27male. Recent ENT visit said "as far as I can tell you're cured" 💗
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

You know, I still burst into tears at unexpected times. It is very frustrating. I find that the meditative breathing helps. Swearing vehemently also seems help (but is less elegant). Are you able to get out for a walk in the park or just on your street? Walking our dog was VERY theraputic for my husband.

It was well over a month for him to be vaguely comfortable speaking, it is was pretty raspy for a good while after that, so I'm pretty sure that time will help you.

Hugs from Ohio to you.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My wife and I still tear up at certain songs that were on the radio during my TX. I agree with Jen's advice to you in a different thread to start speech therapy. Insurance usually covers it once you get a prescription from your doctor. A speech therapist makes an amazing difference in recovery.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I find myself to be WAY more emotional since this all started. To be honest I think that for me it comes from a place of wanting to not hide them anymore and for people to really understand how I'm feeling. But it doesn't take much to set me off and it is a bit frustrating that I can't seem to be able to control it very well at all. There are some times when it was happening with coworkers that it was kind of uncomfortable to look like I was super emotional but really it was something that popped into my mind having nothing to do with the conversation at hand but about the lisp and slurred speech that keeps getting worse. Maybe it is just a side effect from chemo and rads. I dunno!

Type and stage of cancer:1st - SCC left base of oral tongue non HPV, T3N1M0 hemi-glossectomy 60 node rem, radX35 carboplatnum &Erbitux X6, Peg tube, lost 55 lbs
2nd - SCC right base oral tongue, surgery, Cisplatin & Erbitux x 16
3rd - SCC right base oral tongue, surgery, hope.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I remember being very emotional through my whole cancer,and even the first year seemed overwhelming, even with medicaton. Things are much better now. I never had raditaion but from what I read hear the people that have had it says things will get better. I am almost 3 years out from surgery and my speach is still changeing.
As far as being more emotional and crying at the drop of a hat, I think in going through what we have, and facing our fears, our mortality, our weaknesses and strengths we just can't put on the plastic face anymore. At least that is how it feels with me. I don't have the strength or desire to be the least bit superficial of phony. Life and death are just to real. No one has a guarantee for tomorrow. When I really had to face that, it changed me.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"

Maria, made me laugh about the cursing. Wendys, lovely poignant description, thank you. I never had a speech problem, and have been very fortunate to have come out of my journey with no obvious outward changes, but I do empathise tremendously.

Recently in the waiting room of my Oncologist's, a man exited who had that unmistakable 'recently baked head' look, and I really regret not extending a hand and introducing myself, just because I looked just like that two years ago.

Oh well, next time.

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

When I watch TV or read an article or watch a movie I will tear up at almost any sad scene. I never used to be this emotional. I don't consider myself to be depressed or upset with having had this cancer but I am definately more emotional post Tx than I was pre. Whenever (even today 6 years post Tx) I give a speech about my ordeal and I get to the part where I describe how "Dr Death" told me I had Stage IV oral cancer and what my survival chances would be, I choke up and have to compose myself before I continue talking and that's after years of repeatedly telling myself not to get emotional when I get to that spot! I've always wondered what was it that has changed me?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Being a cancer survivor should really come with a rule book and directions! I think after cancer we all tend to be very emotional and on edge. Its not easy getting used to living life as a different person. Try your very best to look on the bright side of things and think positive. It will help. Have you spoken to a therapist? How about considered anxiety meds? Those tools may also be helpful.

Please add a signature when you have time.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Being emotional means we have feelings and can easily empathize with others' pain and that's not a bad thing. Crying brings a form of relief and holding it in isn't good so let the tears flow. It can be very cleansing. It takes time to recover and sometimes you have to take a moment to give yourself some compassion for all you've been through. But there are things you can do as others have suggested and some pretty good ones, too! Whatever works is good. That DVD your brother had - maybe you should switch it for some of Tyler Perry's Madea movies. And I wouldn't hesitate to ask your doctor or therapist about anxiety meds as Christine suggested. Everybody needs a little extra help at some time or other. Things will get better. They really will.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

KP5 Offline

I was the caregiver and I cry at the drop of a hat too. I mean..it's just life. We are meant to be caring, compassionate people and we feel others pain almost as much as we feel our own. But in the quiet times when it's just you and yourself, give yourself permission to mourn a way of life you lost, but then face today and celebrate being alive!!
Life will NEVER be the same for any of us, but I know for Kevin it is sometimes so different he's just plain angry. There are times he shuts down and we talk it out or he handles while he's at work in Alaska and his evenings are quiet.
I worry about things and have had sickness after sickness so am needing to learn to get the worry under control. It's really not helping my immune system as I'm sure our Erik would tell me!!
Take a deep breath when it gets too heavy and, yes, I have found I can have a real potty mouth sometimes and like I've said in the past, crying in the shower seems to help!! ;-)
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320