Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome Nancy! Yes muscle aches can be a symptom of Hypothyroid. The test is an easy blood sample so go ahead and get it.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
nancyt Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I touched base with my doctor yesterday to see if during the blood work they checked for my thyroid. They did check and everything with my thyroid is okay which is good news. I did ask my doctor about the aches in my legs and he said that given the chemo I went through, this is quite common but said to keep an eye(?) on it and report back to him if necessary before I see again for my next 3 month tuneup. As far as the tiredness, he did put me on provigil to help me stay awake (I literally was falling asleep while driving - not good - and also falling asleep at work - also not good!). So far (it's only been 3 days) the provigil is working so I'm really happy about that! Thanks for your helpful responses. It's reassuring to know that people like you are out there and just a click away to help me through these rough times.

Enjoy the day, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Nancy,

I have battled leg aches and pains for many years. Doctors have theorized that side-effects of hepatitis could have been the cause. Net of all the doctors I have been to and through, lactic acid buildup is very often a source. There are a few simple things you can do. First, make sure you drink lots of water. This is by far the best possible thing for you and especially after the stress, chemo/rad, surgery, etc. As often as you can think of it, try to stretch the muscles that ache. Much of the sitting and laying around after all the surgery and treatment tends to diminish the muscle fiber and walking constantly or even standing would benefit by stretching and massage. If you are not on a regular multivitamin, you should be anyway, regardless of all the things you have been through but especially after the toxic effects of chemo and radiation. Vitamin B-6 and B-12, calcium and magnesium would help the muscle aches, too. If you have a Whole Foods around where you live they have a great magnesium bath salt that is great for muscle aches and pains. I have to warn you, though, it will leave your towels with a strong odor for longer than you can imagine! You should have your doctor tell you exactly how much B-6, B-12, calcium and/or magnesium to take because he would be more knowledgable based on your treatments and your present condition, labs, etc.

In addition to all of the above, try ice on the precise area that is sore. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. It will burn at first but resist the temptation to take it off. It will go more numb and then start benefitting the inflamed muscle tissue.

All of these are pretty simple straightforward things but your doctor should guide you on the vitamins and minerals. I hope this helps your muscles calm down some.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021