Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi I am new to posting here, but not to reading posts. I have been fortunate enough to have found this site since the onset of when my dad was diagnosed back in November 03. My (growing) concern is that even though the surgery is behind us I am frightened that it may reoccur. It seems to be a pretty common thing judging by the posts I've read here. I just cant imagine my dad or us having to relive any part of this nightmare over again! Are there any questions I should be asking either his surgeon or the radioligist that might shed some light on this for me?

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Lisa....

I don't know if there are any questions you can ask but I understand how you feel. I am 9 mos. post treatment and I worry about that too. I try not to dwell on it though, I tell myself that I could very well have an accident tomorrow.

Khaja

Khaja
SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Diagnosed 12/02
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Lisa,
we need more information to be able to help you. How did they find it. What stage, location, treatment specifics (chemo, radiation, surgery, etc.) Was he treated at a comprehensive cancer center? Does he have a multidisciplinary team? Please don't name the doctors. Where is he at now in the process?

You are off to a good start wanting to be his advocate.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Lisa, I am almost two years out from diagnosis,surgery, treatment, etc. I think about recurrence,too. My oncologist and surgeon check me every 8 weeks, which is a good thing, (sometimes scary). None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, so I try to take it one day at a time!!!!!!!!!! It is easier said than done, I know....God Bless you and your Dad

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
OP Offline

Gary, thanks for your post. I apologize for being so vague. The cancer was on the left hand side of his tongue. He was diagnosed in November 2003 with stage II SCC. On December 22, 2003 they took 1/3 of his tongue, neck dissection, trach, and skin graft from top of his thigh to use to "bolster" his tongue while it healed. He had 1 of 14 (i believe) nodes that came back positive. (I don't have his path report here right now) My dad is on his 18th out of 31 IMRT treatments. The radioligist said that it was stage III. So I questioned the surgeon and he said it went up due to the node coming back positive. So much of what I read is that once it has gone into the nodes/lympth system - the chances of it reoccurring are very high. I don't mean to sound selfish about this. I am grateful for each and every day with him. I also know that we have to get through the rest of his rad treatments first and that we should try to get through one thing at a time. But I have to be honest- I don't like surprises, If it is going to be I would rather be as prepared,(mentally and informed) as I can be so as to help the others in my family, especially my father deal with it. He, along with his wife (my mother) are the center of my world! Thank you everyone for your replies- this site has been and continues to be about the only place I feel I can be understood-

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23