Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

This is my first posting to the message board and I hope that I am doing so correctly. I am newly diagnosed with base of the tongue cancer that is also in my lymph glands in my neck. I have had my first round with chemo and am also on my first week of radiation treatments. I imagine over the next months to be at this site often to try to learn, listen and hope. Thanks for taking the time to read this intro.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Pigtales,

Welcome to the boards. I hope you are able to find the information and the encouragement you are looking for here. There will be many who can give you the information you look for. We all, in different ways will offer encouragement.

None of us wanteed to be a part of this group. Setting aside the reason that brought us here, it is a great group of people to be a part of.

Please know that I will keep you in my prayers. The fight you are involved in at times can and will be rough, but it is a fight that you can win.
Let us know how you are doing and feel free to vent when needed.

Peace,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Welcome Pigtales

I was newly diagnosed this time last year and am now clear of cancer although I live with the after-effects of the treatment as we all do. I found this site a help as my treatment progressed as I'm sure you will.

My journey with cancer did bring some gifts - love and positive appreciation of each new day and what it brings.

Love and best wishes for your treatment from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Pigtails,

Welcome to the club no one wants to join!!
What type of cancer did you have, was it on the base of your tongue? Did they resect the tumor first before radiation & chemo? I see from your profile you are a stage 3. As you continue your treatment please post and let us know how you are doing. You will also have allot of questions that can be answered by several members of the Oral Cancer Foundation. You have found a site that can help & support you as you travel this difficult journey.

Your Friend, Daniel

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Pigtales and Welcome,
We have 2 things in common.RN and oral cancer. :p I will be praying for you and please email me if you want to vent/chat. The folks hear are wonderful for sharing and listening and answering your questions. I am glad you came.
God Bless
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Pigtales and welcome to the site. I am in your neck of the woods so if you ever need someone to talk to email me personally and I will give you my phone number.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Hi Pigtales,
Sorry to hear you had to find us out. But you will find an enormous amount of information and encouragement. There is hope, and you will become stronger than you thought you would be. Our prayers are with you.

5-02 SCC T1N1M0 Stage 3 Right Tonsil
6-02 Right Radical Neck Disection
9-03 Recurrent SCC Dx Stage 4 unknown prim
12-03 7 Chemo
12-03 36 Rad
5-04 Left Upper Lung Wedge Resection neg
7-04 Right Parotidectomy
9-04 Began IMRT
10-04 Ended IMRT

Hi Pigtales,
Welcome to the OCF board. Your diagnosis sounds quite similar to my own. I made it through with radiation and chemo with no neck dissection, and now, approximately a year and a half later, am doing quite well.

Keep us posted,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
OP Offline

I can't thank you all enough for the support and encouragement. I have SCC stage 3 at the base of my tongue. Odd I went to the ENT and thought I had a problem with a TMJ in my jaw. What a shock when he palpatated a mass on the tongue. Things have moved rapidly. I have an IV mediport and a peg tube to help when I can't eat or my mouth is sore. I finished the first round of chemo on Friday and my first week of radiation. Some nausea and complete loss of appetite but so far so good. I do feel tired a lot a sleep more than usual but I think my body is in a battle that all I can do is allow it rest and as much nourishment as I can get down. This certainly bring a different way to a persons views of the world and of the priorities. I am blessed with a family that loves me without reservation. Thanks again for my welcome into the club no one wants to be part of.

Hi pigtales
Don't ditch us now you have found us, keep us informed every step of the way and if the road gets a bit bumpy we will still be here.
prayers and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23