Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14640 11-22-2003 11:03 AM
OP Offline

Hello everyone. I am new to all of this and freaking out. I'm a 28 year old female. A few months ago I noticed a lump on the roof of my mouth (on the hard palate); didn't think anything of it since it didn't hurt and was close in color to normal mouth tissue. In September I went for my 6 month check up at the dentist and showed it to him but he didn't seem concerned. He said he would monitor it (I think it was about 4 mm) and check it again when I came back about a month later to get some fillings. When I went back he forgot about it...I reminded him of it and he said that it didn't look like it had changed size, but that I should possibly see an oral surgeon. I went to the OS and he did an x-ray, said he wasn't sure what it was and that they would remove it, biopsy it and take it from there. I had it removed on 11/19 (Wed) and on Friday the nurse calls around noon and says that my results are in, the doctor wants to see me on Monday. She also said that the doctor "suggested" that I bring my fiance with me if he is available (he took me for the surgery). Of course I freaked and asked if I could see the doctor today and she said that no, the doctor was done for the day and I would have to wait until Monday at 10:30. Now, I have never heard of anyone receiving good news and having to bring someone with them to hear it; plus who in their right mind calls someone with this type of thing on Friday afternoon and leaves them haning all weekend long?! Needless to say my myself and my fiance are furious and I have not been able to function all weekend. Also, I have a problem with surfing the net to look up ailments and finding the worst one and assuming I have it. I cannot believe my OS! Has this happened to anyone else? Other than the lump I do not have any other symptoms that I've noticed, like enlarged lypmh glands, sore throat etc. but am convinced that whatever I have is horrible. My hope right now is that I caught it early and they got it all in surgery.

Sorry for the long post but I had to vent. My fiance has been wonderful through all of this but I had to give him a break:)

#14641 11-22-2003 01:16 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello Daisy,
Welcome,I think that what your oral surgeons office did to you was horrible.I have run into a few doctors like that.It is more than likely the staff and not the doctor,but I would address that with him on Monday.In regards to your results,I had a similar situation with my father in law.I had to hound his surgeons office everyday for a week before they finally "found" the results.When they finally did I was told by his receptionist that the doctor would call back when he was done seeing patients which turned out to be 7 hours later.It was not a happy time so I can imagine what your induring.I pray that you get good news and please keep us advised.

Patty laugh

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
#14642 11-22-2003 03:29 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

daisy,

I know this hard for you - but try and hang tough - It seemed that every time my mom was scheduled to have a test it would be on a Friday and we would have to wait the entire weekend (on edge and flipping out) My mom was diagnosed with cancer in January 2003 - Unlike you she had every symptom there was - Try to think positive - I hate to say it but you can be a great doc and have the worst bedside manner - I hope the best for you and I bet the outcome won't be as bad as it seems - Please let us know the results - We will be here for you.

Sue

#14643 11-22-2003 09:51 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Daisy, you are definitely facing the hardest time over this weekend waiting for the appointment with the doctor on Monday. I am sure most of us on this forum have similar experience waiting for the jury to give us the final verdict. While there is nothing we can do to change what has already happened, why don't we stay positive and look forward to what lies ahead of us? It may sound easier said than done but in reality most of us here have surpassed these mental hurdles.Some doctors and nurses never think of their patients in their shoes, which causes immense anxiety to their patients. I really wish these medical people could be more sympathetic and empathetic.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#14644 11-23-2003 02:29 AM
OP Offline

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and support. I have always been a bit of a hypochondriac I guess with little things so this just seems so overwhelming right now. I was in the middle of wedding planning when I got the call and now who knows if that will even happen? Everything seems so unimportant right now. This board has been good in helping me keep my sanity this weekend, reading all of the stories of people who have overcome this horrible disease. My prayers are with all of you right now, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

#14645 12-25-2003 06:22 AM

Hi Daisy, Im sorry to say I had the same experience. You will read my post about posterior bump on tongue which tells about my experience with a mamo/sono of breast. Anyway, I called my doctors office to get the results and was told by the receptionist that if the doctor didnt call me than I could assume everything was fine. I was NOT comfortable with this, paperwork can easily get lost. I insisted on finding out my results, turned out, they did NOT get them yet, after 10 days. They called my radiologist, got the results, never called me back, I called back later that day and was told the doctor was on vacation. I asked if they got my results and I was told yes, but I needed to speak with the doctor, however, the receptionist was "Kind enough" to inform me that she overheard my name in conversation and that my mamo and sono of breast BOTH came back ABNORMAL. There was nobody there to speak with me, nobody called me back for 3 days later. I pray they are NOT put in the same situation as they put US BOTH IN. I wish you nothing but the best and will be praying for you. Keep up your spirits, and give that fiance of yours a BIG KISS smile *

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23